Today marks the 4th anniversary of my running streak and I am beyond excited! I would have never imagined four years ago when I took that first step to running every day that it would bring me this far. A running streak is a funny thing that starts to take on a life of its own but in it, it has enriched my life.
To celebrate 4 years I came up with 4 running streak inspired lists. Are you ready? Let's go.
List 1: My 4 tips for starting your own running streak
- Don't embark on the mission to start a running streak until you have a solid running base to begin with
- Do go slow and incorporate just a mile days to allow your body to rest in a new way
- Don't feel bad if you are not running as far or as fast as other runners even if they are streakers too
- Do celebrate small milestones along your streak
- My Saucony running shoes! I particularly like the Ride and Kinvara models.
- My SOS Rehydrate to keep me rehydrated. It has almost replaced the gels I use completely and if SOS Rehydrate came up with a running gel substitute my day would be complete! (Use the coupon code
- My CamelBak marathoner vest. It's endurance is beyond amazing!
- BodyGlide - 'nuff said.
- Running the Kauai Marathon in September!!!!
- Running just after midnight in Texas as a bad hurricane was to come in. It missed us so I got to run again!
- Running with my daughter whenever she will indulge me. She is more of a horse riding type of gal.
- Getting off of the treadmill on a bad day and plopping down saying I just can't do it. Darling daughter rushed to my side and asked, "Did you at least run a mile?" When I said yes she responded, "Okay, you can stop if you need too. Maybe later you will feel like running more."
- Not every run is going to be joy-filled. After running just a mile on a hotel treadmill dear hubby asked me how my run was and my response was "blah". He seemed disturbed by my response and asked why I do it then if it isn't fun. I explained not all runs are fun but upon further reflection it is more than that. Running streaks develop their own life and become part of your life. Am I really going to end my streak because the treadmill at the hotel was boring? I think not!
- It is okay to run slow. By going slower some days you can go faster other days. But with that said, race times matter less to me these days.
- To run every day you need to have a reason to run that matters. I run for Toby and to honor God and yes, I run because it makes me happy...even a blah run leaves me happier than the idea of no running.
- People will judge me and think I am crazy. People will tell me I can't run every day. I will always remember I can and that there are many streak runners who have run longer than I have and they will always inspire me. May I never pass them up!
Daily Bible Verse: Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. My Father's house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. ~ John 14:1-3