5.07.2015

Rest

Rest days are essential in training and yes, even as a streak runner, I take rest days. Typically I run 1-2 just a mile days a week depending on where I am in my training cycle. And post marathon I run a string of just a mile days until I feel my legs are back to good running form. However, this week I have been running a string of just a mile days and I got to say....I tired of it!

I want to run longer but good judgment is taking over as I am battling a nasty head and chest cold once again. I don't know how things have been in your neck of the woods but here the winter bug has been hitting people left and right and not only in my house. I know many who tend to stay healthy get knocked down big time. And I have the nagging cough again.

Ealier this year I pushed my training a bit through the bug and ended up having to forego race day. I really have no regrets about that but here I am again....sick and eager to run! But I am at the beginning of my Kaua'i Marathon training cycle so it is a bit easier for me to forego the plan and run the just a mile days in hopes I am able to kick this bug quicker. Fingers crossed.

So here I am running a mile a day but still doing my May Madness and my abs are feeling the work of the combined madness and coughing (although coughing is probably the bigger culprit). I am itching to run long again. I want to get all sweaty and I feel some irritability building up within me but in all reality, the logical part of my mind says to finish the week with just a mile days. Take the "rest" week and get back on track with training on Monday. Fingers crossed again.

Any suggestions for distracting my mind? How about tips to get rid of the nighttime cough so I can sleep?

Love and hugs!

Daily Gratitude: I am thankful for cold medicine that does it all!

Daily Bible Verse: For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison. ~ 2 Corinthians 4:17

6 comments:

  1. I am on an active recovery week or two from running. I'm not totally resting because that would make me crazy. Every day I do something--yoga, stretching, and today I went for a bike ride. I have to say that I'm enjoying my time off! First time I've ever done this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like some lovely cross training and recovery time. When you get back to running you are going to love it!

      Delete
  2. I am with you on being sick but not wanting to rest! I wish I had some words of advice but I don't. Going to take a rest day tomorrow and hope I am well enough for my race on Sat! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man! I hope you feel better by race day. Rest up!

      Delete
  3. Rest is key! I have always heard that 'in your chest let it rest'... rest up friend.

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat!