4.29.2015

The Mental Block

The power of our minds is beyond amazing! What we think we can, or can't, do has so much impact on what we really do.

I have been coaching darling daughter for our upcoming 5k race. We are running as a Mother-Daughter team meaning we need to start and end together. We did it last year and she was a trooper and surprised me that she didn't call it quits when we finished the first loop and ran past the finish line to do the second loop. Fingers crossed she has that same strength this year. She is better prepared but not quite to where I hoped we would be in terms of endurance for her.

But in our training she has battled so many mental blocks that all runners face. There was the run through the hilly neighborhood where she was adamant she couldn't but once she stopped whining about how it was too hard and found her happy her run became better and her time was her best! Then there was the day she said yes she would do a training run with me but couldn't run a mile. So we ran up and down our street tossing in drills and guess what? She ran a mile and was shocked at the end when I told her so.

The best run for her was the time we were in the hilly neighborhood and she was coaching me up the hill and teaching me the course. It was our first run together here in a long time and she was so distracted by teaching me that she forgot she was running up a nasty hill. She was more focused on telling me I could do it that she had no time to think she couldn't do it. And isn't that true for all of us? It is easier to accomplish a hard run when we run together and encourage together.

My race day plan for her is a run/walk strategy but I need to be the tough coach on the walk portions and make her stick to a time frame. She still has mental challenges to overcome and is far more capable than she believes but that confidence will come through tackling challenges and finding out at the end, I can do it!

It will be the same joy she expressed yesterday when she got the saddle on Capone. All of a sudden we all heard a delighted "I did it!" and looked to see the saddle perfectly in place on top of Capone and darling daughter beaming from ear to ear. Yes, she did it! It took many, many weeks of trying and asking for help when she just couldn't get it all the way up but through practice she got there and we celebrated the milestone. And in running, do the same.

Celebrate the milestones, embrace the challenges, and push through. Be the little engine that could and tell yourself you can and you will.

There was a time the crazy wind today would have kept me inside but today things are different. I have faced the wind and finished my run. Yes, my pace will slow. Yes, I will be knocked around. Yes, there will be times I feel I am making no forward progress and am being pushed back but thinking negative thoughts serves no good purpose. I will embrace the wind and perhaps have a bit of fun!

Daily Gratitude: I am thankful for the stables and darling daughter horseback riding instructors.

Daily Bible Verse: And when he got into the boat, his disciples followed him. And behold, there arose a great storm on the sea, so that the boat was being swamped by the waves; but he was asleep. And they went and woke him, saying, “Save us, Lord; we are perishing.” And he said to them, “Why are you afraid, O you of little faith?” Then he rose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm. And the men marveled, saying, “What sort of man is this, that even winds and sea obey him? ~ Matthew 8:23-27

2 comments:

  1. I am all about mental training for a race. I write about it a lot! For me, the mental training is the toughest part of my prep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the toughest part and now you know I will be heading over to your blog searching for all yoru mental training posts. :)

      Delete

Let's chat!