12.17.2013

I achieved my big goal....now what?

I had a big goal in the works for years. I achieved it. My goal was to break a 4:20 marathon. I set a new PR of 4:10:18 at the Honolulu Marathon. Being involved in the Holiday Bootie Buster Challenge has helped keep my motivation up and keep the post race blues at bay...for a bit. I was eager to get my weekly points back up after seeing them decline, as they should, during taper. But it didn't keep a firm hold on my post-race happiness. I felt the blues sink in. It hit me hard last night.

I felt bummed and not as energized by my runs. My runs weren't draining me. I just had a yearning for more. More miles. More time. More planning. More anything. I wanted more.

I had been toying with the idea of doing a local 10K race on the 21st but last night that drive was lacking. Why bother? I didn't need to race per se. Yes, I had thought it would be fun. The cause was good - women helping women - a fundraiser for domestic violence. But still, the drive wasn't there. I was floundering even though I was doing good incorporating more core work and stretching into my routine....just as planned.

So today I turned over a new leaf. I dragged my butt out of bed at 4:00 am and went to the gym before work. I needed a good sweat, a good run, to find myself. My goal was to run longer or run faster. I didn't care which. I needed to run. The end result, I ran a bit longer and faster. Why not do both? And I found my happiness and drive again. A good sweat can make anything better. I am ready to face the day with a smile and confidence. And that 10K? I registered!

Daily Gratitude: I am thankful for local races.
Daily Affirmation: I am loving.

5 comments:

  1. Way to go on registering for that 10k! I always get post-race blues. You put so much work and thought into a race that it's hard not to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the SAME feeling post NYC marathon. I am also doing Houston in January so I have to train for that. That helps, plus vacation, plus holidays. My advice for you - set sub 4 goal and GO GET IT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. post marathon blues are sooooo real. kudos to you for finding something else that will help you start moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoo! Nothing to shake off a post-marathon funk like a return to feeling strong, a solid run, and another race registration! Congrats on taking the step - wherever it leads! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome marathon pace!!!! Congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat!