9.11.2013

#dairyfree Blueberry Waffles

A bug has entered my household. A wonderful, fantastic bug. A cooking bug!

I love it when I can share my passions with my daughter and today's recipe was refined with her input. And yes, I have already ordered her a Junior Cookbook as she is completely inspired to get more involved in the kitchen and is already dreaming up recipes!

And the input she provided for this recipe...more sugar Mommy. I know, all kids would love to say more sugar but when I tried the recipe again I indulged her and did 4 tsp of brown sugar vs. 2 tsp. I took her advice since we really only indulge in waffles once a week...if that often. It is a special Saturday tradition and I want her to have the awesome weekend family breakfast memories I have from my childhood. And I serve with fruit and little to no syrup. The thing is, she was right! I didn't notice any extra sweetness but I did also swapped out the vanilla soy milk with unsweetened almond milk. What I did notice was the waffles had an extra bit of crispiness on the outer edges. AWESOME! I made the recipe a second time to see if it was just a fluke. Again, some extra crispiness on the outer edges. I AM IN LOVE!

You can make this recipe with fresh blueberries or frozen (please thaw out first). The frozen berries will make your waffle turn a browner color versus the golden yellow of the fresh berry waffles.

Ready to get your waffle iron out? Here's the recipe!

Ingredients:
1 egg
1 cup flour
1/4 cup oil
1 cup almond milk (I cut this back to 3/4 with my frozen berries as I measured out 1/4 worth of berry juice that I used too)
2 tsp baking powder (please note: some baking powders can me made on equipment that may contribute to milk contamination)
4 tsp brown sugar
1/2 - 3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (your preference!)

Steps:
Really easy. I plug in my waffle iron and do a quick squirt with oil to prevent sticking. I then toss all the ingredients into my mixing bowl and mix. By the time I am done measuring and mixing the waffle iron is hot and ready. I then put about 1/2 cup of batter onto the iron for each waffle and make sure I have berries throughout.

Servings: Makes about 4 waffles depending on your waffle iron size and how big you make your waffles.

Daily Gratitude: I am thankful darling daughter is interested in cooking and baking.
Daily Affirmation: I am setting a good example of balancing good nutrition with occasional treats.

4 comments:

  1. great job finding new fun dairy free recipes!! now start making them egg free too so I can enjoy :) hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Egg free - I don't know how you do it but yes, I should find some of those too!

      Delete
  2. Candy6:50 PM

    You have to play around with the other liquids if you do this but have you tried using unsweetened applesauce or other pureed fruit in lieu of refined sugar (My question mark died on the keyboard of my brand new laptop and it will drive me insane until the warranty repair is complete!) lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a fun experiment! I like the challenge. :)

      Delete

Let's chat!