Here is my current go to recipe. I will make this burrito the night before, wrap it up in plastic, and then warm it back up at work. Two minutes in the microwave seems to work perfectly! If you want to make this to eat right away, just warm up the beans first.
- One tortilla (I like the Smart & Delicious low-carb tortillas but any kind will work. Just check that ingredient list closely! The wheat tortillas I was traditionally buying have whey inside of them.)
- 1/4 cup vegetarian refried beans (use more or less depending on your personal preference and yes, I do make my own sometimes!)
- 2 eggs
- 1 handful spinach (use more or less depending on your personal preference)
- Salt (I use Hawaiian sea salt)
- Black Pepper (I use freshly ground pepper)
- Salsa (optional - I add this in when making fresh at home but it will make the tortilla soggy if you are taking the burrito to go like I do)
- Warm up a small frying pan over medium heat and spray with non-stick cooking spray. (Check your can closely to ensure it is indeed dairy free. Believe it or not, some have hidden dairy sources!)
- Crack the eggs into the pan and gently break the yolks.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to match your tastes.
- While eggs are slowly cooking spread the refried beans on your tortilla. Top with spinach.
- Once the eggs are white and setting fold the eggs in half. You will know the eggs are ready by the firmness of the edges. It actually is pretty easy!
- Continue to cook to your preference. I like a bit of golden edges and well cooked eggs. I will cook on one side and then flip and get the other side golden. If you want, you can make scrambled eggs instead.
- Cut egg omelette into slices and place on top of the spinach.
- Wrap your burrito. I fold in the ends first and then do the final burrito wrap up. I don't like loose ends that could let the yumminess fall out!
Daily Gratitude: I am thankful for quick meals I can make at home to make breakfast at work more exciting!
Daily Affirmation: I am uncovering the hidden chef within myself.