11.27.2012

Honolulu Marathon Goals

This topic has been bouncing in my mind throughout this training cycle. What are my goals for the Honolulu Marathon? Do I aim for my ambitious goals of breaking 4:20 and a 4:00 marathon? Do I aim to PR, which would be breaking 4:36:16. This PR was set just this past September and my time the previous year was 4:46:40 at the same race. Thing is, I know my ambitious goals will happen and based on some of my recent race times, they are indeed doable. I just don't know what these legs really have in them less than two weeks away.

Now before I get the virtual lectures on trust and faith, it isn't that I am doubting my capabilities. I know my dreams will come true but I don't know when. And for me, that is okay. My last two races have blown my mind away with my performance and I went into both not competing but with the goal to run well, to do a training run, and to enjoy. I had my eyes set on the Honolulu Marathon. But yet, I was still goalless for that race.

As I sit here typing the goals are still whirling in my mind. I know I can set BEST, BETTER, and GOOD goals and traditionally, that is the case. I know a new PR would make me happy. How couldn't it? I know dear hubby sees me breaking 4:20, and perhaps approaching 4:15. He has said as much. And I know he will not get it if I state I am not going in with a time goal. But I think that is my plan. Not to have a time goal.

Sounds odd, doesn't it? Now, not having a specific time goal to me isn't exactly what you might think it means. I have a pacing strategy. I really need to work on this in order to achieve my greater marathon goals. I tend to start to fast. I run out of energy at the end. Yes, in some regards this is indeed normal and I don't want to sprint across the finish with a tons of reserves in the bank either. I just need to fine tune this. For the Harbor to Harbor, I ran awesome negative splits. It felt great. For the Turkey Trot my final mile was indeed my fastest and I did wobble some in time. I wasn't as consistent in paces as I was for the Harbor to Harbor and I attribute that to first, there were hills and second, I started out faster. I promise, that race report will be coming soon.

So my "I don't have a time goal" really means, I want to try to run a consistent 10'00" pace...or at least as much as possible. For those you are quick at math, you know that brings me to a finish time of 4:22. But I am not locking onto that number in my mind. There is some uphill climbs, there is running in new territory, there is a crowded race course, and those are a lot of unknowns. So I feel I can't set a realistic goal with all of those variables. And yes, that is the data analyst side of me coming out. Too many unknowns to draw a clear and reliable prediction.

Used picmonkey.com to combine HNL 26.2 Course Maps
Therefore my BEST goal is to run as best as I can, to have fun, to savor each step and relish in the fact that each step is a blessing, to enjoy the atmosphere, and by golly, to finish and get that medal to make darling daughter proud!

Daily Gratitude: I am thankful for fudge.
Daily Affirmation: I am able to lessen the load on myself, ease my mind, and put fate in God's hands.

10 comments:

  1. I like your BEST goal. I'm racing this weekend and can't wait to show my little girls my medal. I know they'll ask me if I won, and I'll definitely tell them YES!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are indeed a winner by taking on the challenge and racing!

      Delete
  2. Running the race the best you can that day is the smartest path to a great race.

    my kids have gotten used to me not getting medals at ultra events but when I occasionally get one they love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelly! I will need to restructure darling daughter's ideas when, not if, I get to running ultras!

      Delete
  3. Best goals are just that: the BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! Have fun and get that medal! Yes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a great goal, and a great way to guarantee you're as happy at the finish line as at the start line!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck! I am running Honolulu two months after an unexpectedly disappointing showing at Twin Cities Marathon on October 7. My primary goal for Honolulu is not to be unhappy about my time, no matter what it is. My only real concern is the heat, as it is pretty cool here in Washington this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marathons are always a mystery, yes? I guess the best we can do is prepare, prepare, prepare and then go out knowing we did everything we could and accept whatever the outcome. You will do great and what a great race you have selected! Sounds like heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is amazing what a BEST goal can do for your spirit. It takes the time goal off your shoulders and allows you to run free. I think with this time goal lifted off your shoulders, you might have a little more pep in that step come marathon day!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat!