10.15.2012

Long Run Love!

It doesn't happen every time but sometimes I just LOVE my long runs! And if you are a new runner, don't fret. It is also completely natural to really, really dislike the long run. You never really know what is going to happen.

After my speed work on Wednesday I detoured from my training schedule and just ran 1.31 of the 3 miles I hoped for. I just wasn't into it from the start and decided I needed a rest day. I followed it up with 2.0 miles on Friday. Not because the plan called for it but because it is what I did....and I loved it from step 3 to the end and was woo-hoo'ing while I ran. Please note, I was running at home on my incline treadmill and the only one giving me odd looks was my darling daughter.

Come Saturday I was determined to run 9.0 miles at the gym and coaxed darling daughter out of the house. She eagerly went into the Kids' Club and I hit the treadmill and I honestly feel the run was AWESOME from from beginning to end. I was having so much fun and was grinning from ear to ear but trying not to draw too much attention to my happy self as others were working out/running at the gym. I also had to resist the huge urge to dance while running mainly because I didn't want to seriously injure myself. I felt I could have kept on running but called it quits as I had another long run on my plate the next day with dear hubby.

And here comes Sunday. I woke up feeling miserable and extremely sick to my stomach. Dear hubby and I had a second honeymoon night and I think I partied a bit too hard. Gotta love friends who watch darling daughter while dear hubby and I bond. I managed to drag myself out of bed, drank some Gatorade, drank some coffee, decided I still felt crappy, ate a bit of Pop Tart while getting into running clothes, and headed out the door with dear hubby to run the 10 miles I had planned on running. I told myself to just start. I could turn around at any point. I could walk back if I needed to but start.

Shortly into the run I wasn't feeling too bad and I was seriously focused on hydration. I was taking a sip of Gatorade at the start of every song for the first three or four songs. Then I focused on hydrating every mile. I had my Nike+ GPS going so I was getting feedback every mile anyhow so it made sense. At about 4.5 miles I took a vanilla GU (as the peanut butter one in my pack made my stomach cringe and I knew dear hubby would be fine without a GU).

Ironically the run turned out better than I imagined. I felt pretty running muscle-wise good from start to end, as good as you can when running hills. It got warm at times but for that I am glad. And I focused on trying to stick to my 10'00" easy/long run training pace and I completed the 10 miles...although my stomach was still finicky a good portion of the day. Woo-Hoo!

10-mile pace & elevation profile
Making room for me daily
Today I wrapped up all that training with a nice and easy 2.0 mile run before work. I feel a bit achy but not too bad. I can't wait to see what is in store for me the rest of the week!

Daily Gratitude: I am thankful for time with my husband.
Daily Affirmation: I make room for myself in my busy schedule.

3 comments:

  1. 2nd honeymoons are good! Glad that run turned out so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds awesome! Glad your running went so well the past few days, and kudos to you too for knowing when and how to listen to your body. I am still struggling with that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:44 AM

    Good for you! I'd like to know exactly how you can enjoy running on a treadmill (no sarcasm there) since I struggle everytime I hop on mine :( I can barely squeak out 2 miles on the "dread"mill, yet put me outside and I can run all morning long!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat!