9.07.2012

Maui Marathon: T minus 9 days

Time is clicking by and before I know it, it will indeed be marathon day. I am in the phase of pre-race nerves that I always get before any race. The longer the race, the greater the nerves. They involve a lot of self-doubt and questioning my training and my ability to perform to the best of my capabilities. The good thing is that deep down inside I know I can run it and that I will do fine. How I will achieve my goals....I'm not so sure but I will get to those in a moment.

Been planking too!
What I have been doing is this. Sleeping. I am resting. I am still running daily but I am running less and running in the afternoons at home. For the most part, I am feeling strong and rested except for some crazy sensations such as a tingly leg/foot and a sense of dizziness but not really dizziness. More of a fuzzy mind sensation. Nothing severe but with all things together, I ended up having a friend drive me and darling daughter to the doctor on Monday.  Blood work was done and for the most part I am a-okay but one thing did pop up. It seems my thyroid stimulating hormone has increased some over the past year. I need to go back in about a month or so for a recheck so no huge worries right now. I am still within the "normal range". But because I listen to my body and am not afraid to tell the doctor each symptom in its own is small but all combined leave me feeling just not right we may have detected something before it becomes a bigger issue. I must confess though, all this has left me doubting my strength a bit more than usual the past two nights.

Communication is so vital in life and unfortunately, communications mishaps happen all the time. But please don't be afraid to speak you mind, stand up for yourself, and ask again for help if you feel you need it. With that in mind, here is a link to a vlog by Pip telling the story of his second stroke. And it is through his determination to speak his mind that the true diagnosis was unearthed. In case you haven't heard, or read, I am dedicating my second marathon to stroke awareness. You can read more about it HERE. Please help spread the word, run virtually, or donate.

Now onto my marathon goals:
  • I really, really, really want to break a 4:00 marathon. I think I am on this path but I don't think I am on it firmly enough to pull it off next weekend. It may not be a SMART goal for me right now. Perhaps in December? But I hear that course is hillier and tougher....
  • I would love to break a 4:20 marathon. I may be here if all goes well and I run well. Keep your fingers crossed....
  • I feel I must PR. My previous marathon time was 4:46:40. It wasn't want I dreamed for last year but it is what I got. My primary goal last year was to finish and I did have hopes of 4:20. I really don't see why I shouldn't be able to set a new PR this year with the training I have done. If this isn't in the cards, oh my......

Daily Gratitude: I am thankful I have a doctor who is willing to listen to me.
Daily Affirmation: I know my body. I am in charge of my life.

10 comments:

  1. Good luck on your race, I am sure you will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will do wonderfully during the race!! Praise god and great for you for getting to the dr when you kno u need to go! You're so wise for listening to ur body! Spa live!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for getting to the doctor! Glad it wasn't anything serious! Hope your thyroid gets back to where it needs to be. You are so gonna rock this race!!! I'm positive you will PR! You've been working so hard! Don't forget to enjoy it!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your race! Maui would be a great one to do :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck on your race. Don't put too much pressure on yourself and just stayed focused. You will get your PR!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck I hope you PR but either way you will be a champ in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have trained well and are strong. You will be awesome at any finish time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Luck. Enjoy your final Easy days and ENJOY the race... You will rock it!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome Vlog!!! I wish you the best of luck...and I think your attitude going in to this race will get you that PR! Enjoy your health...and savor the moment;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, I love the goal setting! What # marathon is this for you? I was really surprised how much easier my second was than my first. I dropped a lot of time and had no idea it was in me until it was done. Good luck, and rest up this week!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat!