8.16.2012

Running Tired

Before I start talking running I want to answer a question I got about what this is. First, what do you think?


It is a sideless slide! It scared the beziggins out of me the first time I saw it, as well as darling daughter, which was good since I didn't have to tell her I was too scared to let her try it. But we have both overcome our fears since then. Here she is and yep, I tried it too. Kinda fun in an odd way!


Now onto running!

I have been out of sync this week mainly because I am having the hardest time getting out of bed in the morning. Darling daughter is back in school and that means I need to be out of work at a specific time to pick her up on time. For the past three weeks I had a bit of wiggle room with work hours since darling daughter had alternative care. For awhile I was blaming that as my issue but felt I was having a harder time getting over it than I would expect. Then I looked at my mileage for the past few weeks and I think I am just plain tired and need more sleep. My real mileage for the past three weeks has gone 36.3 miles, 32.68 miles recovery week, 44.84 miles. Hmmm....that was a big jump and could trigger some fatigue, eh?

But even with having a logical explanation, I need to get better at getting the sleep I need and getting up early enough to do the running I want and need to succeed at achieving my race goals. Right? I would love to say I jumped out of bed today but I slacked again as it seems I have every day this week. Ironically, right before going into the gym I saw this tweet....and I don't normally look at twitter first thing in the morning.


and replied to the extent that I need someone to kick my butt into gear at 4:00 am. When I got this reply I smiled and had a instant mindset change from discouraged to ready to run. Mahalo to The Boring Runner! And I hope you don't mind being highlighted but I love to demonstrate how awesome the online running community is!


I was able to get motivated enough to not only run the 30 minutes I had but to run those 30 minutes well. And now I get to introduce a new TM Running Workout for you!

larger view on TM Running page
Treadmill Tempo Intervals: There are many ways to run intervals and I do them many times. Running intervals helps maximize the benefits of a workout if you  have limited time and are great for speedwork. However, they are not something I would suggest daily and since I do them more often than perhaps is recommended, sometimes I cut the pace back and do fun tempo intervals. And after a few days of sleeping in late, I knew I needed to up the ante some with today's run.

I broke my 30 minute run into 5 minute segments and started off at a pace midway between my easy/recovery pace and my tempo pace. I alternated this segment's pace with 5 minutes at my tempo pace. It raises my effort some but won't go all out and kill me when I add it into a week with already planned tempo or speed runs, long runs, and recovery days. I ended up running 3.58 miles with an average pace of 8'22". It was a great run and I followed it up with a 1-minute plank.

Daily Gratitude: I am thankful for twitter.
Daily Affirmation: I am strong and can wake up on time when it really counts.

8 comments:

  1. Great job getting it done this morning!!! I run early like that too...getting out of the bed is the hardest part for me. I so didn't want to get up this morning but so glad I did! That slide DOES look scary! But glad you both overcame your fear and gave it a try! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Early am running is getting harder because it's getting darker. Ugh. Nice work!
    Crazy slide!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha! You may have hit on something there! It is super dark in the AM now and my mind may just not be ready for that.....even though the stars in the sky are amazing! If only I could get a picture to share.....

      Delete
  3. Gotta love a fun TM run! I need a file of these as most of my week runs are going to be on the the tm when I head back to school! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta love the TM for that and I will be updating my TM Running page with new ideas from time to time. I have lots in my mind but I want to link each workout with an actual post about me running the idea. ;)

      Delete
  4. Okay that slideless slide is seriously the idea of someone that has never had kids!!

    And great work on the run. Way to make the most of your time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Don't think I will ever let her go down without me by her side. :)

      Delete
  5. I find mornings harder and harder, too. I think cuz it's starting to cool down a bit and I don't feel I MUST get up at 4am anymore. Great job getting that workout done. LOVE treadmill intervals....just set the thing and hang on for deal life :).

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat!