8.30.2012

Running Hard

I completed the third and final 20 mile run in my marathon training cycle last Saturday. It was at that point that my mind shifted. The bulk of my training is done. I am either ready or not. I'm ready. And now I just need to stay healthy and have faith. But that doesn't mean I hung up my running shoes. Although, there is a time that they may have sat there longer between uses. Not now. Now I run every day and am loving it. It makes me feel happy. It makes me feel strong. It makes me feel good.

But even though the bulk of my training is done it doesn't mean I am taking it easy. If you look at my miles recently they haven't been anything huge but I have been running hard. I know I can run the distance. Now I am just running out frustration, anxiety, or whatever emotions I have and reconnecting with the pure love of running. I am not forcing myself to run x-miles. I know I have the willpower and capability to do so when needed. I am not concerned by the weekly stats. They really won't make a difference come 9/16 (marathon day). But what will make a difference is my mindset. I want to be happy and feel confident so I am running for love.

With that said, I got adventurous and started trying out a new treadmill app by lolo called BeatBurn. It costed me $3.99 and I'm not going to get into a huge review right now since it is too early to tell. I have only used the app four times. But I have been having fun. The time flies by. And I have been pushing myself in new ways and feeling the difference. It is hard! At least, it is if you push yourself. I know it sounds like I am giving it some praise right now in a review but I don't want to officially do the review as I am experiencing a few hiccups here and there. They may just be due to my own learning curve so I really want to give the app a full trial period before I say more. Stay tuned!

Another thing I am focused on right now is stroke awareness. You may have seen my post just the other day introducing the Stroke Awareness Virtual Run. This is really important to me mainly because of what motivated me to put this in action right now. In my previous post there is a story from a friend of mine who explains what it felt like when he had his first stroke. He has had many hurdles in his life and right now he is going through a rough spell and I felt a huge desire to do something to show him support. The best way I saw fit was to raise awareness about stroke since it is something deep and meaningful to him. I am very fortunate he was willing to share his story. I may be asking a lot for people to run on 9/16 with me, or donate, or just help spread the word like wildfire with nothing physical in return. I just didn't want to feel like I was "bribing" people to care and participate. I am very thankful for those who have already registered to run and/or donated. I am also thankful for the tweets, facebook posts, and other sharing I see going on. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. And over the next few weeks I am going to be sharing some information on stroke in my efforts to raise awareness.

Today's stroke fact: In the United States, there are 700,000 stroke attacks annually and 500,000 of these are first occurrences. This means there is a stroke every 45 seconds. Source

Daily Gratitude: I am thankful for the rain.
Daily Affirmation: I am mentally prepared to push myself when it counts.

6 comments:

  1. One of our friends just had a stroke. Thankfully he survived and is now on a long road to recover. I would love to run with you on 9/16!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU! I am a 4 year stroke survivor and I am always thankful to anyone who brings attention and awareness to stroke education. I will be participating in this race and I will also encourage as many friends as I can to run it as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on that final 20 miler! You are going to do great in your marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 20 miles done! you go girl! i love your advocating of stroke awareness. i had no idea the stats were that high! wow. thank you for sharing! spa love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on your latest 20. Did you do it outside or on the mill? Can't remember when I last ran a training run that long. Seriously, my training is weak. I guess it's just the years of doing this and the daily runs that keep me being able to do it. I need to get the mill soon so I can get my double days back. They really help. Your marathon day will be here soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Congrats on getting those long runs done!!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat!