8.17.2012

#FitFluential #SLEEP

One of the four pillars of FitFluential is SLEEP. The other three are MOVE, ENJOY, and EAT by the way. Imagine all of these pillars as table legs. They should all be in balance so you have a reliable, sound foundation. For me, my SLEEP is lacking.

Like most people, I go through life juggling all of the things that are important and/or necessary for me. On most days, I do just fine but this week my juggling skills have been questioned repeatedly daily in regards to me doing what I need to do....SLEEP. Ever since Monday night I have promised myself that I would get to bed early to get the sleep needed to get up early to run the run I wanted to run. Every night I failed. I just didn't do it. And it was my choice so I am the only one to blame.

When you juggle through life you have to make choices and sometimes something just has to give. To understand, here's sneak peak into my life. After getting up early (target time is 4:00 am) I run, go to work, pick up darling daughter, make lunches, make dinner, tend to the garden, tidy up the house, shower/bath time, play if time allots, and put darling daughter to bed. The bedtime routine runs from about 7:30 pm - 8:30 pm. Sometimes I am done by 8:00 pm but not always. This gives me maybe one hour of time with dear hubby before I zonk. I usually start heading to bed at 9:30 pm and climb in bed between 9:45 pm and 10:00 pm. So you can see, this gives me little sleep time and let's not even get into the fact that I don't often sleep through the night. Every little sound can wake me up some nights. Oh my!

And as much as I knew I needed to get sleep and usually one night going to bed at the same time as darling daughter does the trick I didn't. Why? Guilt. I felt it would be selfish, that I was denying dear hubby our quality time, and I wanted our time together since it is so limited. But my juggling skills were being tested and something has to give to get back into form. That SLEEP ball kept slipping in my fingers and the only reason why I wasn't dropping it was because I was oversleeping and cutting back my running time. My "me" time was suffering. And for now, I am okay with that but I will not be okay if this persists through next week.

I need to get back into balance and set the solid foundation needed in my life. I need to make the pillars of EAT, SLEEP, MOVE, and ENJOY equal again....or at least a lot closer to equal. I need to realize that an evening without quality time with dear hubby isn't the worst because in all reality, if I go to bed early one night and miss it, I will be more in the present and alert the next night we have together. I need to take care of me and I plan to do just that starting tonight and moving through next week.

SLEEP is essential and I need more of it. The yawns while driving and at work at great tell-tales. And if I don't catch that ball and improve my juggling skills, I risk getting sick. And that is a price I don't want to pay.

Daily Gratitude: I am thankful dear hubby watched darling daughter while I was running my second run yesterday.
Daily Affirmation: I am in tune with my body.

4 comments:

  1. i am the WORST at sleeping!!! trying to get into a better routine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an awesome post!!!! I think so many of us are in denial about how much rest we really need! I know I get no where near the amount I need, because ive got "too many other things" to do and "too much else to get done" etc. The excuses go on! This is a great reminder though because truthfully we go and go until our bodies force us to stop, and no one wants that!!! Thanks for sharing!! SPALove!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE to sleep but also love to stay up late! So I will stay up late but then need to get up really early to run...thus a loss of my much needed sleep. Hope you find a routine that works for you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in the same boat as Mindy- I love to stay up late! And that doesn't go well with having to get up early, or, as with you, waking up a few times a night. It's been catching up, too. I have my first cold in at least 4-5 months. I blame that on one long night of whiffle ball/ drinking with friends.

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat!