7.05.2012

Terror

Yesterday started out normal enough....at least as normal as a holiday can with it being a family day. Days when we are all together are indeed rare. After helping daughter build a train for a bit I opted to run at home on the treadmill. I only got a mile in and had to call it quits due to bickering in the house. Sometimes it is so hard for dear hubby and darling to get along and play nicely. But then, I think it is hard for many males to play long with a strong-headed four-year old little girls.

We ended up heading out to the park and beach and had a delightful time. We started heading home once the wind picked up. And that is when I heard it. Darling daughter screamed and as a mom, I instantly felt her terror. In a nanosecond I whipped completely around in my seat and reached back to her in her car seat straining against my own seatbelt. All I really made out was the word bug. From looking at her I could see her terror but was uncertain where the bug was. I had told dear hubby to pull over and we were now on the shoulder. At some point I must have turned back around to take off my seat belt as I was able to lean over further, unbuckle her, and move her away from her seat. She had confirmed the bug, a cockroach, was on her seat. Oh darling, I would have screamed like that too!

I then got out of the car and yanked her seat out and triple checked, more likely quadruple checked, that yes indeed I saw the roach fall off her seat. As I was doing this darling daughter was crying and dear hubby kept repeating we had to go. All I could think was we were on the shoulder and there is no way on Earth the car is going to move until darling daughter is back in her seat. And there is NO way I am putting her back in until she is rest assured the bug is gone. She did a check and climbed back in. I buckled her up, located my phone that went flying when this all started, and climbed back into the front seat and that is when I felt it.

Pain in my left hip. Not serious but nagging enough to cause concern. I was annoyed and scared. Did I do something to myself that will harm my running? I had three 9-mile days coming up and 20-miles on Sunday.

I turned my mind off of running and focused on darling as I reached back and held her foot to comfort her. She was so ready to get home. I didn't blame her. I was too.

However, eventually I had to think of the hip. It hurts somewhat when I lean forward and bend. As much as I want to stick to my training plan I am scared. Almost two years ago I woke up with a nagging pain in my left glute. I ran to loosen it up. It got worse. I took an easy day and then I woke up later unable to really get out of bed. I really don't know what happened so now whenever anything happens to me I panic. I do. And I am now. I am afraid tomorrow will come and I won't be able to get out of bed. But I can't let fear rule me. And I can't let this harm my training.

Rationally, I know all this. I was doing great with my training. I was on target. And I still can be. But I am going to take a couple of "rest" days and just do easy miles to try to stay loose. Then I will reevaluate on Saturday. I will run in the afternoons to give me more sleep time too. I am giving my hip some TLC as it aches as I sit in a desk chair. The pain is probably just a 2 on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the worst) so I have faith my loving trick will work. I will get to my 48.9 mile week when I do. It is early enough in my training to not worry. I am ahead of the game and the best thing I can do right now is to take care of myself and let my body fully heal.

Ironically, my run yesterday proved that my legs were fully recovered from the 18-miles on Sunday....so if my healing rate stays true by Saturday I should be feeling pretty darn good.


How about you? Any freak injuries that happen in the oddest of ways?
How was your 4th of July? Did you see fireworks?
Have you ever discovered a huge, nasty cockroach in the car?

Daily Gratitude: I am glad darling daughter is okay.
Daily Affirmation: I am wise.


P.S. I have a couple of guest posts/highlights out there today - at FitFluential and Running with Spatulas.

10 comments:

  1. Oh I'm sorry to hear about your hip. You should check to make sure your hips are in alignment - as I had an "upslip" and it is STILL giving me issues b/c I never got it diagnosed until months after running on it and I damaged the groin muscles.

    Thanks again for your contribution to my blog! I really appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good advice! It never hurts to have a doctor check it out again. :)

      Delete
  2. Don't risk an injury. A couple minimum days (or even a bunch!) is better than a long recovery from an injury. Today may be my minimum day (2 miles). Running in this VA heat and humidity is taking a toll on me. I might get some extra miles in the pool but pool running doesn't count towards a USRSA streak but it's a nice way to get a little more movement without the pounding on the muscles.
    Listen to your body!! Run safe and smart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aloha Shelly, Thanks for your words of wisdom and I didn't think about the pool. I may need to go there this weekend with darling to give her time to practice swimming and I can give my muscles some love. Plus the community pool is cold!!!

      Delete
  3. Ewww, a cockroach! I hope your hip feels better soon. One time I moved just the wrong way and popped a rib out of place. I could barely breathe and had to go to the chiropractor to pop it back into place. Hate freak injuries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch! I am glad I am not alone in odd injuries!

      Delete
  4. yikes bugs and mystery pains would both cause terror in me. I hope it doesn't turn into anything. try to take it easy tomorrow and only do the long run if you truly feel like you can. It might not be anything but better to be safe than make it worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree and already see where I can push that 20-miles back a week and readjust perfectly fine. I would rather be safe this far out from race day.

      Delete
  5. Awww you poor thing! I hope some easy days have you back on deck & pain free!

    Aren't injuries that don't even come from running more frustrating!?!?

    Hope your darling daughter has recovered from her encounter with the cockroach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The non-running injuries are the worst! Ironically, all my injuries have been from non-running....just goes to show that running doesn't hurt me. ;)

      Darling daughter is fully recovered and hasn't mentioned the bug since plus she gets into her seat with no issues. Thank goodness!

      Delete

Let's chat!