6.26.2012

An unexpected run

You never know what life has in store for you and honestly, I think that is what makes life so exciting!

But before I get into what happened today, check out this video I made yesterday and there is a little surprise guest!


Last night I was just plain tired. My body ached and I felt mentally exhausted. I know I am starting a big week of running for me and am front loading miles this week to make the transition to running long on Sundays versus Saturdays so perhaps that is part of it. I have also been on an emotional roller coaster and although some of the excitement has been energizing I am beginning to think the drama is taking its toll on me.

When I woke up this morning at 3:40  am I just felt tired. This is nothing new. I always feel tired so early in the morning but today as I laid there thinking, I decided the mileage goal for the week wasn't my top priority. It shouldn't be. I needed to take care of myself and if I was so tired, I just needed to sleep. I could get a couple miles in after work. All would be good.

I thought about the video above and how I was going to post it. I made a statement of my goal and how would I feel if I said, nope, didn't do it. I chose to sleep. I decided it would be a good statement because it demonstrates at times we just need to listen to our bodies. I set my alarm for 5:00 am and rolled over to go back to sleep.

Thing is, I couldn't sleep. I wasn't tired anymore. It took me less than a minute to realize my body wasn't going to let me talk myself out of my pre-work run. All my reasoning was still sound but my body did want to run. I decided to pull myself out of bed, which took no effort, and to run based on feel. Forget all mileage goals. Just run.

I got ready, poured a cup of coffee, and grabbed a homemade oat muffin and headed out the door. I made it to the gym early enough to devote a good chunk of time to running. Within the first two minutes of running I decided today was a good day for speedwork. I typically do this on Wednesdays but thought doing so today, easy run on Wednesday, and hills on Thursday sounded good for this week with every day having higher mileage goals. I finished my warm-up mile and started progressive 1-miles....start easier and work up the pace. I envisioned three speedy 1-miles with a half mile recovery between.

I did my first fast mile and felt good. I did my second faster mile and felt good. I did my third fastest mile and had to turn to my power song to help me through. The end came and I was happy. However, I still had some good running time left and my body wasn't ready to just do an easy pace. I did a final fast 1.25 miles before cooling down and calling the run completed. I ended up with 8.08 miles today, right in my goal range for the day. Pretty cool, eh?


On a side note, I did wonder about that oat muffin and what impact in had on my running today. I think it may be great pre-run fuel!

What run have you done recently that surprised you in your capabilities?

Daily Gratitude: I am thankful my body was strong enough to overcome my mind today.
Daily Affirmation: With every breath my awareness grows deeper.

5 comments:

  1. This makes me want to get out and run! I'm debating whether or not I want to run while on vacation, but I think I do. Thanks for some extra motivation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vacation running is the best! I love to run on vacay and then allow myself an indulgent treat!

      Delete
  2. I am floored at how early you get up to run. I used to have to do that for work, and that got old really quickly. I think it's great you manage it! Great job on the speed work, too! I have been debating whether to go to my track workout tonight or not....but now I feel like I would be a slacker if I didn't. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, she is too cute! I'm still so impressed with your mileage for the year. That's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too cute!!! Isn't it amazing what our body can convince us to do!!! You are really cruising through your miles....way to go!!!! Lately I am surprised when my body begins to warm up (usually after 3 painful miles) and I can run like I'm not pregnant....almost!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat!