6.09.2012

This week's long run(s): Training Week 3

Training Week 3
In case you haven't heard, I am currently officially training for the Maui Marathon, which takes place in September. As part of that, and part of keeping me focused, I am posting updates on my weekly long runs so here we go!

And yes, this week I did two. Call me crazy, call me nuts, call me ridiculous....your choice. I choose to call myself committed, dedicated, and determined. My goal was a 16 mile long run this week. I also had another goal to complete 44 miles this week. I missed both goals but guess what? Thanks to an awesome comment on Daily Mile from an incredible lady, I am not going to let those numbers discourage me. Plus right now I am feeling really good with my training at the end of week 3.

On Thursday I headed to the gym to tackle that 16-mile training run and even though things were in my favor with me hopping out of bed early enough to do so, things changed and so did my plans. I ended up running 11.54 miles. Not close enough to 16 to make me happy. Not enough to get to 44 either. So today I headed back to the gym with darling daughter (who eagerly hit the Kids' Club) to tackle long run #2 for the week. I knew the 15 miles I needed to hit 44 weren't going to happen in the time frame I had but I had to run long. I had to be strong. I had to get into the 40's....or you could say, I really wanted it and felt it was doable.

Today's run was hard. Killer hard. I wanted to quit 20 million times but I didn't. I had the number 12 in mind - it was a nice even number, more than my long run on Thursday, and would get me into the 40's for the week. And even though I was achy it wasn't warning sign achy. In all reality, it was probably just "hey lady, you just ran 11.54 miles 48 hours ago and you want me to do more" achy. Yes, I did. And when I finished my 12 I felt good mentally. And yes, my legs still ache but isn't that expected in training? And in all reality, today's run is one of my best to date. Not my fastest. Not my longest. But awesome because I did it and proved to myself again that I can. And I was able to tell darling daughter that I wanted to quit and didn't...and she was proud of me.

Daily Gratitude: I am thankful for public events at our local library.
Daily Affirmation: I am strong.

P.S. I ran 40.86 miles this week, 0.67 more than last week, and please note, my training week doesn't match the Daily Mile week. I train Sunday to Saturday. And good golly, I need to write my May Training Update Report.

9 comments:

  1. I say you had a great week! You had a nice long run today at a real nice pace! Running 12 on those achy legs will do wonders for your training as well! Take it easy tomorrow and pamper those steel springs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! That is all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work! So impressed with your great mileage:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. so awesome! Congrats on an amazing and definitely hardcore week. You are so dedicated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're AMAZING!!! Way to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You rock!!! Seriously lady look at that mileage!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I train Sunday to Saturday too, so sometimes it throws me off to look at my DailyMile training.

    Great job with your mileage and good luck with your training.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did fantastic! Great job on the two long runs. Sometimes (all the time?) you just have to follow your instincts. :)

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat!