5.20.2012

What to do with old race shirts

In a previous post I mentioned that I am really picky about t-shirts. I have to wear one almost every day at work and to find one I love to wear outside of work is near impossible. You are more likely to find my in a bra-top camisole when I am not in my running clothes....or a dress. And some races are giving out some really good tech shirts and shirts in ladies cut. These are both positives but still, it doesn't mean I like the way the shirt fits. On the other hand, dear hubby proudly wears every shirt he gets without complaint. What a trooper!

The thing is, I still love the shirts...especially the ones I feel I have really earned with a marathon or the half marathons. And some are really cool! It seems a waste to have them sitting in my drawer under the shirts I do wear. Eventually I said enough is enough. Do something useful with them. So I made this....



Go small and lumpy!
It is easier than you think. I started by cutting out the fronts and backs that I wanted. You can pick the size of the square or rectangle you want. You can also pick out how big you want your pillow to be. The only limit is the number of shirts you have and your imagination. For this pillow I opted to not mix cotton with tech but I really think that would be fine if you wanted to do it. I may next time. I used mainly shirt fronts but grabbed the backs of my pink shirts to add some extra color and I love pink! I think that is why I am stoked to be a Sweat Pink Ambassador.

Once you cut out your squares/rectangles determine the pattern you want. I then pulled out my sewing machine and started sewing them together and I didn't care about thread color. Sorry Mom. Make sure you are sewing them so each square/rectangle is facing the way you want it to. You can do this by hand if you have the time and don't own a machine. I am way too impatient for that and you will see that later.
Go oval!

Then face the outside of the pillow inside and sew around three edges. Leave one edge open to turn the pillow right side out and then begin stuffing with fluff. This is wear things get fun and darling daughter loves to help. You can by Fiber fill from many stores....even your neighborhood Wal-Mart....but we reused a pillow this time. I had a long body pillow we no longer used that we tore into, fluffed up, and converted in this pillow. I then turned the edges in and stitched shut with the sewing machine. It is hard to do it this way with a stuffed pillow and I know hand stitching is best but remember, I said I was too impatient for that. And ta-da! You have a new pillow and can showcase your race accomplishments!

And other shirts work!
If you don't want a large pillow you can do smaller ones with just one shirt front and back or two fronts. Make it yours. Make it useful...floor pillow, toss pillow, small nap pillow, whatever!

Daily Gratitude: I am thankful for my darling daughter.
Daily Affirmation: I show great patience in the face of difficulty; however, even the most patient people can reach their limits at times. Sorry, it's true!

8 comments:

  1. love it, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea! I think I'm going to make a quilt with all of my old race t-shirts. I have them in a bag ready to go! I have this thing where I can't work out in a race t-shirt, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the next item on my wishlist to make...but I am dreaming of one with race shirts from my races and dear hubby's!

      Delete
  3. Fun idea:) I was just thinking about this same thing. What to do with all my cotton race shirts that I never wear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea, I might make mine into a little purse for my ipod and heart rate monitor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will work wonderfully! I had another t-shirt that said Run, Blog, Repeat. I loved the message but not the fit. I cut out the message, sewed it up...and voila! I have a cool cell phone cover now. :)

      Delete
  5. Great idea! Something I can do myself unlike getting them all quilted together. That is a little beyond my skill level and time level too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this idea! It seems like one of those things I would intend to do but would take 3 years to actually get to!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat!