5.29.2012

Virtual 5k for CFF Report

Luv Zensah atheltic compression socks
As soon as I heard that Running Moose was going to host this race I wanted to sign up. However, it took me time to actually get around to doing so. The virtual race is supporting a great cause: finding a cure for cystic fibrosis and funds Lauren's Lifesavers. Really, to learn more go check out Running Moose since he tells the story so much better.

Many years ago as a child (in elementary school) I remember watching a movie about a little kid with cystic fibrosis. I wish I could remember the title but even at such a young age that movie touched a cord in me. I really felt the pain and difficulty this whole family had in facing this ailment and realized how lucky I was to be healthy. I don't remember much from my younger years. Ask my mom...it's true. But this movie stuck so when I heard about this race, I had to run. 'nuff said.

I must also confess I don't always put my all into virtual races. Sometimes I just use them for motivation to push myself a bit more, to stay focused on my training, and to add a different element. But for this cause, I wanted to push myself and ran a progressive 5k. My end result was a time of 23:44 with an average pace of 7'38". I thought of the cause and Lauren every time I picked up my pace a bit more and at the end, I knew I pushed myself and ran well today.

In terms of training, I have speed work on my schedule for tomorrow but I think this may count for that. What do you think?

Daily Gratitude: I am thankful for my health and the health of my family.
Daily Affirmation: I am able to continue to test my limits and challenge myself.

6 comments:

  1. I wish I had known about this! My best friend has CF and I try my best to donate and support CFF as often as possible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have until Sunday to sign up and race it!!! The link is above- some nice prizes, too!!!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for donating and running...and posting, tweeting, etc!!! I'm close to $400!
    Also, I think your speedwork is done, too! Thinking about her really helped me at the 12 hour endurance run last fall. Hopefully my leg will be better enough to push me there again!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband's really, really good friend lost her sister 2 years ago to CF just after her 29th birthday; she was married and had a 14 month old daughter which was something she was told would never be an option (having a child).

    I have a childhood friend who is in her late 30s and has had a lung transplant; I know she is an exception to CF!

    I am going to check out this virtual race in memory of Mari and in honor of Sharon. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great event! I would say this speedy time would count as speed work!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat!