5.15.2012

Mother's Day Run and More

I really hope you had a great weekend and I truly hope all the mothers out there had a blast! I had a fantastic Mother's Day and couldn't ask for anything more than the time I got to spend with my family.

We started the day by heading to one of my favorite spots and did some running. Darling daughter really wanted to run with dear hubby and myself so we left the jogging stroller in the car. I ended up breaking our one run into three segments to allow for me to accurately track my solo running time. The whole family started out together with darling daughter setting the pace. She immediately learned going downhill is faster than going uphill. What a smart cookie! We ran 0.57 miles with an average pace of 15'07". Pretty good for a four-year old. I then headed off a bit solo and ran 2.02 miles with an average pace of 8'53" and took some pictures along the way. When I met back up with the family we did another 0.27 miles with an average pace of 13'51" so I guess darling daughter finished her run with a bang! By the time we were all done we were hungry enough for a great breakfast out. Here are some pictures from the run.





After all that, we headed to the beach for fun and picnic. Darling daughter hooked me up with some nap time when we got home. It was the best day ever! I felt mentally refreshed and wasn't ready to return to the real world of work. But I did.....

In other running news, I am trying to rest up my legs for the Jacaranda Run on Saturday. I finally looked at my time from last year...1:07:58. I want to beat it. Thing is, I really want to break one hour. From my standard paces, not a problem for most runs but this is an all uphill run.....essentially. I know I do a lot of work on the incline but I am still wondering what race pace I will be able to sustain. Plus I placed 2nd in my division last year and I would love to place again this year....and maybe move up a bit.

All that said and done, I am running shorter and easier to make sure my legs are fully rested. Yesterday I ran 1.37 miles with an average pace of 8'11". Today I ran 1.38 miles and did a progressive run to test my legs and give them a bit of a increase in turnover far enough out from race day. My average pace was 7'48". If you have been following my running streak you may see the little game I am playing with myself to keep the low mileage fun and not boring for myself. Yep, today is day 138.

Daily Gratitude: I am thankful for the gifts in my life and for the growing knowledge of my daughter. We were watching Frozen Planet the other night and they were discussing the weight of polar bears and whether or not they are getting enough to eat. Darling daughter asked how could the polar bear give birth if she isn't getting enough to eat. What an awesome question especially since they were not discussing that topic at the time or mentioned if the bear was a male or female. And yes, I embraced the teachable moment.
Daily Affirmation: God gives me what I need each day in order for me to achieve my purpose in life. 


P.S. Today is the last day to enter your Sweat Pink with Me Virtual Run results to be eligible for the door prize drawings to be announced tomorrow!

5 comments:

  1. Looks like a beautiful run! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a great weekend! as always great job with your daily streak. You are amazing

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like an awesome day! I think you can break 1 hour. I'd say go out at a slower pace than you need by about 15 seconds and see how you feel. If you feel strong, then pick up the pace and go for it! Worst case? You cruise home. Best? YOU DO IT! And I know you can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great advice....and now that you say it....the finish isn't too far from my home and it would be a down hill cruise that way. :)

      Delete
  4. Go, lil momma! My daughter wants to do a mother/daughter walk this weekend, and this reminded me of why that would be so fun. Doing it (I hope!).

    I'm sending sub-hour vibes your way for that race!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat!