5.22.2012

Marathon Training Plan: Getting ready for the Maui Marathon

This plan has been in the making for the past few days. I have revised, edited, and revised some more but I am finally comfortable with every aspect of this plan. Comfortable enough to post and share.

Click HERE for full size

I love having a "firm" training plan. I only put "firm" in quotes since I know life happens and I do end up juggling a lot throughout my training but I think this is a good foundation. For my first marathon I googled marathon training plans and edited one mildly to fit what I thought I could do in time commitment, running days, etc. This year things are a wee bit different as I am running every day. Plus I have my long runs alternating due to time commitment and childcare.

Step 1: I started my plan using the Runner's World Smart Coach app and set it to what I wanted for weekly mileage and intensity. I know I changed a lot around from this initial step but I will still look back to it since it tells me what pace my easy, tempo, and speed runs need to be at. I input my last half marathon time so it could predict realistic paces.

Step 2: I wrote this all out on a piece of paper and started moving long runs around to where I knew they were more likely to occur. I can do some on Saturdays at the gym but only have 2 hours and I really want to do most outdoors. Therefore, some need to be on Sundays and I even slipped one in on a Friday. With this I had to adjust other runs around so I didn't end up doing two long runs back to back. It sounds more difficult than it truly is.

Step 3: I looked at overall weekly mileage to see if I was still on track. I had to increase or decrease the distance of some of the other runs to keep me where I wanted to be. I also ensured it followed an increase and recovery cycle my body responds well to. If you look at it, it isn't the standard build, build, build, recover, build, build, build, recover. My body does well with irregular builds and recovery and can tolerate some big builds.

Step 4: I input the couple of race distances I plan on running and surprisingly those didn't cause too much strain to the schedule. The one 10K race was on a 6 mile day but I decided to switch my 20 mile run to before this versus the day after. It was a gut feeling thing.

Step 5: I compared monthly totals predicted from this to monthly totals from last year to make sure I was in a doable place. I am.

Step 6: I printed out a copy and posted it on my freezer door. I also input the adjusted run lengths into my phone calendar so I can keep it all straight when I am not at home.

Daily Gratitude: I am thankful I am so inspired by planning and love charting out my course.
Daily Affirmation: I CAN do this!


P.S. Check out my guest post at Blogitness for a great enchilada recipe!

10 comments:

  1. I just made my first EVER marathon training plan. Your plan looks great! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WoW!! I am truly impressed. I would never think about revamping a training schedule. I would just print out the one I found, and if the day's run works for me, fine. If not, well there is always the next day. This proves I am a newbie runner. Still so much to learn!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each one of us are different and I just apply some of my risk management skills I learned in school to my training. Anticipate problems/risks and mitigate them with an adjusted plan. ;)

      Delete
  3. Very organized! You sound a lot like me in that way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome! I still have a little bit of time before I start my "marathon" training but I like how you did this. I will definitely need to change around any plan... what do you think are the positives of running everyday vs a 3 or 4 day training plan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sounds like a topic of another post but for me, running everyday is the best. I have my 1 mile rest days where I take it easy. I have learned to run slow on recovery days and not always push myself. Then I have 4 work harder/run longer days. My body is responding positively to it and recovering faster from my race efforts.

      Delete
  5. How exciting planning for this special event. Good for you. I will enjoy reading about your training as you go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is my favorite time of the year!

      Delete

Let's chat!