5.25.2012

Marathon Training Love

I don't know what it is but I truly do love to be in marathon training mode. I love having my training calendar out there and posted on the fridge. I love marking off each day. I love seeing the long list of days I still need to do. I love seeing those days melt away. Some may ask if I love it so much why not have a training calendar always posted? It won't work. If you get a treat everyday that treat loses its specialness. And this is the special time of year for me and I want to savor it. In all reality, I am always running and training but I aim to truly enjoy each step of the journey to my next marathon as much as I enjoyed each step of my first journey. After all, it is the journey that is most important to me.

Now don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean I wake up giggly with joy for each run. In fact, Wednesday before tackling my tempo run for the day I posted this on Daily Mile:


And I saw this response right before I stepped on the treadmill:


And I truly did, and still do, appreciate that support and kick in the butt. I ended up running a total of 5 miles as planned. One mile warm-up, three miles tempo, one mile cool-down. For my tempo run I  even stepped up the pace a bit each mile in. I usually don't do this as I usually hit my tempo pace and hold it. However, Wednesday was an odd day for me. My rate of perceived exertion was increasing as I increased my pace (normal, right?) but about 0.5 miles into the mile segment I felt I was breathing "easy". Hence the increase in pace. I may need to take a look at my target tempo pace again but in all reality, if I listen to my body and know how much effort I should be exerting, that is better for me. My overall pace was 7'57". It was a good running day but I know I will continue to "dread" my Wednesday tempo and speed days. It is my human nature. But I will also get them done. I am dedicated to this day this year. Last year I didn't really focus on speed work or tempo runs. I just ran. This year I want to add more meaning and work to it all. 

Thursday had 5 miles marked on the calendar. I ended up running 5.24 miles since I just had an undying urge to round out my time to an even 45 minutes. Just because. Why not? This was to be an easy run day for me and my overall pace was 8'35". I felt good and even envisioned doing my long run today so I didn't have to pay the Kids' Club tomorrow. I haven't done it yet. I was up late watching 50/50 with dear hubby (good movie and I didn't cry as much as I feared) and couldn't resist cuddling darling daughter a bit more this morning. And I didn't HAVE TO run the 12 miles today. It is scheduled for tomorrow. Today is supposed to be a 1 mile rest day. I don't know what I will end up doing later. I know I will run. I just don't know which run I will do. I'll let you know.

Have you ever wondered why I am "obsessed" with orange numbers? I know I have gathered some new followers and want to welcome each one of you but I also want to explain the orange you see sprinkled throughout my blog. My Dad is one of my heroes and unfortunately he lost the battle to leukemia. In all reality, the time from when he was diagnosed to when he took his last breathe was way too brief. I don't think anyone of us expected our time was so limited and I still miss him dearly. There are still days I say/think/scream "I want my dad back" but I know he is with me each and every day. And the orange numbers are my sign of love for him and his battle with leukemia. It is a way I can remember him each and every day.

Daily Gratitude: I am thankful for being able to speak my mind and share my thoughts openly.
Daily Affirmation: My mind is focused and I have clarity and energy in all that I do.

1 comment:

  1. see i love working out, but I don't love feeling like i must follow a plan. I think i'm the complete outsider on this when I talk to other runners!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat!