4.12.2012

I found me today

Happy Thursday!

And I am saying that with complete enthusiasm today. But I must confess, the past couple of days I have tired and grouchy. The grouchiness is side effect of being so darn tired. I have been trying to get enough sleep, keeping the mileage low, but I just can't seem to kick the sluggishness aside.

This morning as I crawled out of bed my legs felt like lead and the last thing in the world I wanted to do was run. I slept a wee bit extra so my plan was to head to work and run later. The thing is, I was feeling really bad about myself. I didn't get my second run in yesterday since I was tired and now I was skipping my morning run for the same reason.

Source
As I pulled into work I could just hear the advice from others saying things like "girl, you just need to take a break from running and rest" and that annoyed me. Why is it I can't run just because I am tired? I have been busy burning the candle from both ends. Of course I am tired! Maybe I should let something else go and run on. What do you think of that? Can you tell I am pretty good at giving myself a good dose of attitude?

So I walked into work, went into my office, pulled out my running clothes, changed clothes, laced up my shoes, and ran out the door. I am fortunate enough today to have leeway with my actual start time since dear hubby is watching darling daughter so I can make up the time and leave work a bit later.

I headed straight to the highway (not many choices here) and started running back towards the way I drove into work. My iTunes selected the perfect song to start the run and I could instantly begin to feel the happiness taking over. I didn't care about pace today. I didn't care that technically I was to run 5 miles. None of that mattered. I needed to run and find my running happy moment. I needed to recharge. I needed to find me.

There is something about running outdoors that is so liberating to me, perhaps since I don't get to do it everyday. The views were breathtaking and I even stopped to take pictures of the views to my right and left.....to share with you of course. And even though I knew it was okay to take this time for myself before work and start a bit later, I knew co-workers are used to be being the early bird so I kept my run short. After about a mile I turned around and started heading back and I really picked up the pace for most of the return. And I found me.

The peacefulness and tranquility have returned. I am still a bit tired but now I don't feel weak. I am tired and strong. And that makes me happy.

Daily Gratitude: I am thankful for flexible work schedules.
Daily Affirmation: I will concentrate on what is truly important today.

P.S. I think I found a replacement for Picnik that is closing its doors.....FotoFlexer.

5 comments:

  1. Don't you love a good run outside!! I went out last night to run 4 miles and ended up doing 6.2. Some days are just good. They make it worth suffering through the bad ones!

    ~Tiffany
    http://tiffanyd22.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you... so happy you had such a good run and even a chance to take pics to share. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job getting your run in! I felt the same way you did this morning, but was too lazy to get my run in:( You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy that you found yourself today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. so glad you found yourself in that run. I agree that sometimes you need to run even if you're tired because you'll just feel so much better after!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat!