4.07.2012

Day 100 and Green Spring Cleaning

What do the two have in common? Nothing really. Except both are on my mind.

For day 100 of my streak I had the goal of running 10 miles personally and seeing if I could add on another 90 from my friends.I successfully logged my 10.01 miles after having to stalk the treadmills from the stairmaster waiting for one to empty. I am glad the wait was only 5 minutes or so. My average pace was 8'30". From facebook I have 48.6 miles pledged and 9 miles from Daily Mile so we are at 67.61 miles. If you want your miles to count, comment here with how many you ran today. Mahalo for participating in a little bit of silly fun.

Recently I stumbled across a book I instantly fell in love with. I was able to get one for myself out of what was left in stock at work as the others are slated for donation premiums and I guess the book is currently out of print. But I may need to see if I can sweet talk my way into one more copy for a giveaway.


I love that the book is full of useful and doable advice for making your home, and family, more green. I have already implemented a few of the tactics into our household and even though I am already green-minded, there were still ideas for me to implement. And yes, there were even ideas I could implement as a renter versus a home-owner. One thing darling daughter and I did yesterday was the 15-minute closet check-up. I looked for items no longer used or needed and she had a mission to find 5 things she no longer used or needed....toys, clothes, whatever. We then boxed up what we gathered and dropped them off to be donated. If you saw my post yesterday you got a glimpse of this. I tend to not be a hoarder so this is easy for me. Dear hubby is going to have a challenge when he needs to tackle his boxes next week....yep, he needs to let go of those things he never uses....perhaps that suit that probably doesn't even fit?

It is amazing how a few minutes skimming can make such a huge impact. The thoughts are in the back of my mind again....no darling daughter, I will not buy that plastic dress-up set since you have dress-up clothes but if you want a nice scrub brush for your back, that will work. Plus the scrub brush doesn't come with a ton of unnecessary packaging.

Now onto cleaners...I thought I was doing good but see how I can be better. Hello vinegar and baking soda, there will be more of you in my cupboards once I am done using what I currently have in the house. Yep, the book focuses on not just tossing out the "bad" but slowly incorporating the better. I love that!

And today I stumbled on an interesting read. Salt. Yep, salt. In was in a chapter about aromatherapy and yep, salt. I am going to give it a try. Put some in an old sock, tie up, and scrub down a room with negative energy, leave the sachet in a corner over night, and then toss. I won't toss the sock, just the salt. Perhaps I will use it to help scrub my sink! And what room? I am going for the living/playroom...the room where there is more tantrums and struggles over brushing teeth, going to bed, cleaning up, etc. Will it make a difference? I really don't know but what is the hurt in trying? Wish me luck!

Daily Gratitude: Thank you so much for the treadmill becoming available!
Daily Affirmation: I can take care of my family, the environment, and my budget.

15 comments:

  1. You can add my four if you haven't already. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did a 10.4 training run today, you can add mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:19 PM

    6.2 miles for me today

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ran 3 and my husband ran 3 too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We use vinegar and baking soda a lot for cleaning as these are things that can safely go down my boat drain into the sea water! Living on the boat and being aware constantly of having to manage our limited resources has really 'greened' our lives... we like to say we are 'blue'....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot, when I commented on your DM post about my 9 miles, that The Captain ran 9 miles too... you can have his! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy 100 days! Add my 5 please. I love green cleaning, we are moving toward that too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can have the 2 miles that I did yesterday after my 10 mile walk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job on your 10! And I love the suggestions in that book, we also clean with baking soda and vinegar, although our eco-friendly detergent is getting all the stains out of L's clothes... did it have any natural stain solutions? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats again on hitting that 100 milestone. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for all the congrats and it looks like we achieved our goal...above and beyond....we got 142.91 miles!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome results!!! I got my 10k in!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on reaching 100!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I ran 18km on Sat so you can have those km (approx. 11.25mi)

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat!