4.22.2012

Balancing Running and Life

If you have been following my blog and reading my recent posts you may have noticed an increase of "I'm tired" comments. I have been tired and as much as I aimed to go to bed early, I failed miserably as I tried to give some quality (and perhaps a bit grouchy) time to dear hubby.

Weekly Mileage
Yesterday darling daughter and I woke up to our normal Saturday routine and headed out on time to hit the gym when the Kids' Club opens. My training plan had me slated to run 14 miles. I knew I only had 2 hours. Thing is, I was tired and my motivation was long. I was contemplating doing this long run next week and taking next week's long run of 6 miles and doing it this week. Perhaps my miles have been up and my body just needed a bit of a break.

As I was getting darling daughter out of the car at the gym I noticed an awesome rainbow. Absolutely wonderful! I even pulled out my phone to take a picture.


Once we were in the gym we had to wait a bit to check darling in and I realized I forgot my water bottle. It wasn't all that far away....just in the car. Many times I would have just gone back out and got in. In all reality, I have never left it in the car before in my life. So I took this as a sign....perhaps running for two hours isn't what I should be doing. Yes, I could have gone and got the bottle. Yes, there are water fountains in the gym. But if you haven't noticed yet, I tend to listen to signs when they pop up. I opted to not run for 2 hours but to aim for 6 miles and if I feel okay, 60 minutes.

I ended up running 7.01 miles with an average pace of 8'33". I did slight incline intervals. And you know what? It was a good decision. Although, my miles this week pretty much match last week's and if I do that 14 miles next week, hmmmm...., there won't be a big recovery week. But I will continue to listen to my body. Oh yeah, and darling daughter blamed the rainbow for me forgetting my water bottle.

After gym time we had errands to run, which included some time at the Fun Factory and our weekly grocery shopping. It is always a good idea to mix in some fun time with darling when you need to run all around time for errands.

Today I ran a mere 1.25 miles. I was going to run more while watching Flipper with darling daughter but in that short time, she interrupted my run twice for legitimate reasons so I threw in the proverbial towel and decided a rest day wouldn't kill me and could only heal me from my lingering fatigue. And so far, I am feeling pretty with it and energized today.

So it looks this weekend I am doing a good job of balancing my running desires with my personal health needs and my family essential and fun needs. Just be glad you can't see the chaos developing behind me as darling daughter decorates a fort/house for her sweet toy dog.....you know, the one that ate my training report!

Daily Gratitude: I am thankful God answers are prayers and understand that sometimes that leads to sadness. 
Daily Affirmation: I am always expecting the best for myself and my family and can achieve this by appreciating what we have been given instead of desiring more.

HAPPY EARTH DAY!!!

9 comments:

  1. Those darling kids always interrupting workouts! I had homework that needed to be checked placed on my back along with a pen while struggling around rep 12 out of 32+ of set 5. I wasn't going to make it anyway and stopped at 17 (and barely made that). My cat likes to interrupt my pushups, too, by head butting me and walking under me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your cat is hilarious! And I tell handling interruptions is just part of my training.

      Delete
  2. So thankful for kids clubs everywhere! Without them I would not be running. Sometimes I feel like two hours isn't enough to complete the training for that day, and then I think how crazy that thought is.

    Glad you took the time to listen to your body. You'll probably be running a really long time with such a reasonable outlook on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it! At times I do wish I had more than 2 hours but understand the reasoning. I would rather many moms/dads get 2 hours than a few get many more!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you know your signs! Quality runs ALWAYS outweigh the potential junky quantity :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very true! I would rather run 7 great miles than 14 yucky miles.

      Delete
  4. you always amaze me with how you balance everything amid the chaos - great job! Is it just me or is darling daughter seeming to look so much older all of a sudden? She seriously looks so old in that last picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darling is growing like a weed and yes, she is turning into a "big girl" with tons of wisdom, attitude, and humor!

      Delete
  5. Great job listening to your body and signs@ I too am a firm believer in them!!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat!