4.27.2012

Are short intervals worth it?

I guess it really depends on what you are trying to achieve but overall I have to say YES! Why wouldn't they be?

Today I had a short bit of running time but I didn't want to do my standard recovery mile day. I also didn't want to go all out and push it for a timed mile. Why? Because I am doing a recovery week and hoping for a nice long run tomorrow. Therefore, going all out is out of the question but some of you may be thinking then a recovery mile makes sense. Perhaps but I wanted more.

It was a stressful work day and I just needed to do a little bit more for myself. So for my 11-minute run I did an easy minute, increased pace minute (but not all out), and repeated with my final minute being easy. The increased pace minutes did result in increased breathing and heartbeat but at the end I felt good to go to tackle some strength training. Result: 1.06 miles with average pace of 10'22" at 10% incline.

Do these short interval sessions benefit my training? I am a firm believer in them. They trick my body since I don't do them all the time. They push me a little bit more here and there. And they are fun and keep me going back to running for more.

Do you ever do short interval workouts? What do you think of them?

Daily Gratitude: I am thankful for the great team of co-workers I work with on a daily basis.
Daily Affirmation: I possess good problem solving skills and can communicate solutions with ease.

3 comments:

  1. Makes sense to push yourself for a short burst. Still a challenge but not an all out assault!

    Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just starting to start interval/speed work, and I am extremely unscientific about it. Basically, at this point, I just sink three 2-minute intervals into the middle of a five or six mile run. I don't know if that is good or bad, but I think it is helping me become stronger. I say, any interval training is helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love short Intervals, I use them whenever pressed for time. I also love high intensity I terval training, 12-20 minutes after work is very doable.

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat!