3.27.2012

Wahine Half Marathon: 5 Days Away

Last year's bib
Have you heard of the Diva Half Marathon series? I heard about it for the first time in September of 2010 when I received a flyer for the inaugural race for Hawai'i....the Wahine Half Marathon. It was to be held on O'ahu and I just had to go....and I did.....and I loved it as much as I imagined I would. You can read about my race experience HERE. And even though my race time represents my slowest half marathon to date, I am amped to be going back again in just a few days!

It is hard for me to pinpoint what it is exactly about this race that gets and keeps me so excited. Perhaps it is that it is all girls....but I really have no problem running with or against guys. Perhaps it is because it brings out the feminine side of me. Truth be told, I didn't even start wearing running skirts until prior to this race last year. I felt this race deserved me opening my mind to giving running skirts a try. Perhaps the race is so lovable because of the boas and tiaras at mile 12. And being able to travel to another island for a little racecation is never a bad thing....but I do that for other races at times too so that cannot be the sole piece of appeal.

What I can say is that I am impressed by what this race series has to offer. The volunteers rocked last year and Coach Kendrick is amazing with the amount of personal support he is able to provide to so many ladies. Check him out on facebook and if you say something don't forget to tell him {lifeasa}RunningMom says ALOHA too!

But let's talk race!

The half marathon starts at 6:00 am and they have a 5K that starts at 6:30 am. They are predicting temperatures ranging from 68 to 83 degrees Fahrenheit and you know what, it was hot and humid last year. I am going to be completely prepared this year with nuun! Guess I need to remember to pack a little saran wrap for that extra tablet or two. Perhaps that impacted my time last year.

The course route is absolutely beautiful and runs along city streets but also ventures into parks and has ocean views. Some of which took my breath away last year. Thing is, the city running isn't as flat as you would imagine. Check out the elevation profile.

Source
Hmmm....perhaps I was totally prepared for that last year....although not likely since hills are not new to me. 

And of course there is great bling. Check out the finisher's medal from last year.


Last year post-run
I am looking forward to running this year and crushing my time from last year. However, as much as I feel I should be running to set a new PR I really don't want to. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a faster half under my belt but for some reason, this race just makes me feel like having fun. There are so many races out there and many times I push myself to go faster, to go further, to run harder. This race just makes me want to have fun. Yes, setting new PR's can be incredibly fun but this Sunday I am going to be racing to remember all the fun running can be. I want to enjoy each step. I want to give myself permission to ease up a bit to take in the scenes. But don't worry, I will also push myself to run well and to not hit the wall this year.

Daily Gratitude: I am so thankful that my family is safe, healthy, and strong.
Daily Affirmation: I have the power to make myself happy...and others.

9 comments:

  1. GOOD LUCK! Can't wait to hear how it goes! Have an awesome run!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to do an all-girls race like this. Can't wait to see how it goes and read your report! Beautiful medal...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! You will rock it this year since you know what you're getting yourself into. Can't wait to read the report.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing you all the best...!
    I never heard of this series before..I just looked closest is in San Francisco...maybe they will bring one to the south soon!! I would do it! Those are some serious hills there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a really fun race! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boas and tiaras! How fun, and a beautiful medal, too. Have a great time... I know you will! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the love and well wishes! I will fill you in on the results post-racecation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck, you are going to do amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Last year's bling is really cool, I hope this year's is equally so. Good luck at the race, I hope it all goes perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for your comments!