3.22.2012

I Ran Today!

Sounds kinda funny doesn't it since I am on day 84 but let me bring you up to speed.

I had dreams of a great night last night but life happened and my evening turned from great to awful in a split of a second. Nothing truly terrible. Just silliness and hurt feelings which left me feeling worthless. I went to bed with things unresolved (I am so against this but you can't force others to do what you want) and when my alarm went off this morning I just wanted to tell it to go away. I laid in bed with no desire to get up. I thought of my goals to run 10 and 6.2 miles the next two days and still couldn't get up. Finally, I pulled my unwilling mind out of bed in just enough time to pull off 6.2 miles before work. I still didn't want to.

On the whole drive to the gym I had no motivation, no desire, I was grouchy. I tried giving myself pep talks about how pushing through this barrier will improve my mental training for race day. Bah humbug. I then began to get annoyed with myself by letting hurt feelings impact me so much. But I was too grouchy to listen to me.


So I made it to the gym and told myself it would be foolish to not run now. I got on the treadmill and told myself just one easy mile. You can't let hurt feelings break your running streak. I set the speed a wee bit lower to give myself a bit of a break and started running. I was still grumpy but getting really mad at myself now by letting little things cause me so much distress. I told myself I had to stay on the darn treadmill until I was happy. Yep, I just pulled the "you are not leaving the dinner table until you finish your vegetables trick" on myself for running. Kinda funny, huh?

By 3 miles I was happy. Quite happy. Having fun happy. Feeling good and optimistic happy. I met the condition I set for myself and could get off now. But why on Earth would I stop running when I really wanted to run a 10K and I was happy? That would just be crazier than crazy! So I ended up running 6.38 miles with an average pace of 9'24" and you know what, I am happy.

Today I am grateful for:
  • Getting it done
  • Good songs that helped cheer me up
  • Pop Tarts - I really do love these for pre-run fuel for my longer runs, don't ask me why but they work for me
  • My insulated coffee cup....really, I can put coffee in it before 5:00 am and it is still warmish 3 hours later
  • Patient Volunteers

8 comments:

  1. That is so awesome! What a super great attitude:) I'm looking soooo forward to getting out on the road to run again. I strained my calf and so it's been the pits to not be able to run for 5 days now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate it when you have a horrible moment and it throws you off for days. Well done for still getting your run done and cheering yourself up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job, sometimes it is not easy to get started!!! 99% of the time if I play those tricks I end up doing exactly what I planned I planned or more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post!! I know what you mean about little arguments that make you feel worthless, I've been there!! I try not to go to sleep till it gets resolved but then at night it seems easier to disagree and argue than it does to make peace. Glad your run pepped you up and got you happy :) Runs have a nice way of doing that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing what a couple miles can do for your overall feeling! Congrats on the mental training!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to get through all that mental stuff, It is hard to talk yourself into just getting the run done. Your awesome

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to all!

    Ironically, today my obstacle was oversleeping! I need to start getting to bed earlier in order to stay rested for my early morning runs! All is good though.

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat!