3.31.2012

I quit drinking diet Coke

Source
For good this time. Really.

For the longest time I would never ingest an artificial sugar and then something happened. I gave in to the temptation and picked up some bad habits from my friends. I started drinking diet Coke and it became part of my life. It was "the best way to start the day", "an afternoon pick me up", "a stress go-to" but in all reality, was it really what I wanted and/or needed? No, not really.

I easily stopped this nasty habit when I found out I was pregnant about 5 years ago but fell back into it once I was not nursing anymore. Why? I can't remember. But I did.

However, I am back into the mindset that I don't want to put artificial sugars into my body. I want to set a good example for darling daughter. I want her to cherish her body and fuel herself well. I want her to know it is okay to indulge but to indulge smartly....not with fake sugars....chemicals.

It took me quite a bit of effort to end this bad habit of mine again, for good. You see, I was surrounded by temptation. Co-workers popping tops and the sound made me want one. Friends saying if diet Coke was the worst thing I was doing than I was doing pretty good. Maybe, but why not strive to be better? Honestly, I could say if I was running a 2:10 half marathon that is pretty good. But wouldn't most of us try to do better? I did, I wanted to break 2 hours and I did. So why not break the diet Coke?

I finally found the thing I needed. The "person by my side supporting me" in my efforts. I jumped onboard the Hint 21 Day Challenge to cut sugary drinks out of my life. Now I felt like I had a team of supporters who felt I was making a good choice. I was ready to go....and I had 21 days. I think that second part was what made it work for me. Going cold turkey without an additional concern (like a baby growing inside of me) wasn't working for me.

Therefore, I broke the 21 days into 3 stages for me.

  • Stage 1: Only drink a diet Coke first thing in the morning....the time of day I craved it the most.
  • Stage 2: Try to not drink those AM diet Cokes but if I did, it was okay, drink less.
  • Stage 3: No more diet Cokes lady. You are done.

I wasn't sure if I would make it through stage 3 with no sips but was ready to accept a sip with the primary goal being no more after day 21. But I did it. No sips in stage 3, which ended over a week for me.

So there it is.  I have gone over 14 days without a diet Coke. Sure, the "idea" of one still sounds good at times but I know I don't need it and if I took a sip, I really wouldn't like it or feel good about myself. So why do it?

What am I drinking? Primarily water. Sometimes I add nuun, sometimes lemon juice, sometimes just a lot of ice, and sometimes some protein powder (which I make sure has no fake sugars). I drink unsweetened ice tea for a work treat now. I drink a morning cup of coffee with no cream, no sugar. I had a small glass a juice a few days ago when I felt I may have had a touch of a cold and wanted some vitamin C. But in all reality, I drink juice perhaps 6 times a year. I'm not a juice drinker. And occasionally, a cup of almond or soy milk. And if I want a really special treat, I buy a bottle of Hint Water and sip it with pure delight.


How do I feel? Better about myself. I would love to say my complexion rocks but to me it is the same. Dear hubby has been giving me more complements on my skin so perhaps he sees something I don't. I feel and want to be healthier. About halfway into the challenge I craved more healthy eating. I am buying more fresh fruits and veggies. I jumped on the bandwagon and started a monthly subscription to Healthy Suprise. I feel more in control of my life. I have diverted some the money I would have been spending on diet Cokes to saving for my future (sorry, can't say retirement because that seems so foreign to me and it isn't much....but every penny counts, right?).

Daily Gratitude: I am thankful for companies out there that try to inspire us to do good.
Daily Affirmation: I am stronger than a can of diet Coke.

17 comments:

  1. Woot Woot! Congrats! What a great thing to do for yourself! I quit drinking Diet Dew about five weeks ago. It was hard, but not terrible. I don't crave it like I thought I would or even think about it anymore. It is just no longer an option for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on giving up the Diet Coke! I didn't realize it was such an addiction, but I now know several people struggling to give it up. I haven't had a diet drink in probably about fifteen years. I switched to regular Coke when I met my husband, because that was what he drank. But, seeing as I never drank that much of that, it was easy to give it up not too long after starting it. I haven't looked back. Mostly, I just drink water, OJ and coffee in the morning, but otherwise water. I am a chocoholic, thought, and I just gave that up for Lent - just to see if I could do it - so I know how hard it can be. Congrats on working to meet your goal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I know why we clicked in the blogging world!! I am an on again off again Diet Coke drinker!! I am currently in my off stage after watching the documentary "Hunger for Change". I also need to ditch the artificial sweetener in my morn. coffee. The biggest side effects I get are headaches. Did you have any headaches?? Good luck on your marathon today!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! I think doing it in stages and making progress that way is a great idea.

    I just won a Healthy Surprise box on a giveaway and was blown away by the amount and quality of the goodies inside. I hope you love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erica,
    I use to be a diet cokeaholic. I figured it was diet so it can't be that bad. My guzzled about 4 to 5 diet cokes a day along with about 3 cups of coffee. My husband decided to cut out artifical sweetners and coaxed me into doing the same. We went cold turkey and are survivors!Yippie! I'm down to 1 cup of coffee a day; if that. I don't drink any on race days. After stopping diet cokes and caffiene-crack-like levels, my body changed. I feel so much better. The only headaches I get now are when "grandma is visiting"(that time of month). Yes your complextion has changed! Congrats on you success!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome job! I have learned that it's usually the bubbles I crave and bubbly water usually does the trick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so much the bubbles! That was one of the hardest parts to let go of and bubbly water does help!

      Delete
  7. Congratulations!!! I really need to kick my soda habit, luckily for me though it isn't diet soda. Although any soda is bad but I think that the ingredients in diet drinks are worse.

    I will kick the habit soon enough and you give me hope!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! I pretty much have cut out artificial sweeteners too. I cut out most diet coke long ago (I might have one once a month if that) but I was using a lot of splenda. I've been working at eliminating that completely and have been doing pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Way to go. I did the 29 days of just water in February and when I have tried to drink a diet soda recently ... well it was a waste of money. I buy the Hint Waters at Sprouts and love them. It was what I craved after the 5K today. Way to go. Did I say that twice. Hmm must need some water. Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  10. awesome job!!! I have never been a soda drinker, but do need some sort of caffeine in the morning such as coffee or tea. Not sure I could drive an hour to work without it! Proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You rock! I gave up the Diet Pepsi too! I loved it, but knew how bad it was for me and wanted to set a better example for my girls too! If you have a fizzy drink craving I reccomend La Croix, nothing artificial and no sweeteners, just mineral water and mild fruit flavoring, it really breaks up the water/tea/coffee monotony.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's great! For me, the first week of giving something up is always the hardest and you're already past that so you should be in good shape!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Way to go! So glad you are sticking to this one. It's made a huge difference in how I feel to be off of diet coke.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think that is GREAT! I am currently on my first pregnancy and have cut out all that stuff and gained some really good habits in return. I'm hoping to continue these even after I have this little one and finish breastfeeding. Your experience is GREAT encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My sister and I quit Diet Coke about 5 or 6 years ago now. I haven't had a sip of coke or diet coke in that time since. Now I find I just don't drink pop much at all (usually only when I'm at a restaurant) and I don't have to worry about getting 'addicted' again because root beer or sprite just don't turn my crank the same way diet coke used to. Anyhow, great job! Say no to brown pop!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat!