2.23.2012

Splits and Paces

My analytical tendencies force me to look at my splits to really assess what was going on during a run. Recently, I haven't been looking much either because I am too busy or my runs were too short to have any meaning. Yesterday after work I ran 3.1 miles at an easy pace. As much as I really wanted to up the speed and run progressively, I told myself that it is indeed okay to run easy at times. In fact, many training guidelines suggest it as the better alternative to always pushing yourself to the limits. Okay....perhaps that makes sense as long as you do push yourself at times.

Here are my splits from yesterday's run on my incline treadmill.


My overall pace was 10'17"....just a couple of seconds faster than what the Smart Coach says I should run at for an easy run. The paces were based off of my most recent half marathon time. Check out those splits.


Somehow I lost the timing for the final mile but it was on par with mile 12. You can see where the physical effects started coming into play due to mental frustration causing me not to hydrate appropriately. My overall pace was 9'22".

But to get back to comparing apples to apples. My last 5K race splits are below.


I could be down on myself that my last mile was my slowest but hey, look at that pace for mile 2. I pushed myself....hard. And at the end, I had nothing left. I wasn't able to pull out that final burst of speed like I usually do. My overall pace was 8'13". According to my Smart Coach app, my tempo runs should be at 8'45" and my speedwork at 8'11". And that makes me very happy with my race results on this day.

Do you analyze your runs?
How important are splits and paces to you?

Today I am grateful for:
  • Becoming a better runner
  • Being able to show appreciation
  • Courage to admit it when I am wrong
  • The ability to see the strengths in myself and others
  • Antihistimines when allergies start getting really bad

6 comments:

  1. Awesome splits there! Way to go! Don't you love that extra dose of adrenaline on race day? I don't analyze my splits as much. I'm still at that point where I'm just going the distance and running by feel...and some days I just don't have the time. Maybe I do need to look at my splits....so I can learn how and when to conserve and to push it. Hmm..I think I'll try that next time. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't pay that much attention to my splits honestly but I do pay attention to my overall time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet splits. The older I get the more I try not to pay to much attention to my splits. I like it when they are neg, but it's ok if their not to. I just want to be able to run forever. My main goal with my running is to stay injury free. As I get older I feel it is even more important because I dont bounce back as fast as I use too. Great Post

    ReplyDelete
  4. I set my garmin to not record splits. I am waaay to old to care. It also allows my garmin to last really really long. Like 55 mile race long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved hearing the feedback that many are paying less attention to splits as they get older....and probably wiser in their running. Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't analyze my runs too much, I do like to look back and see how far I've come though!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat!