2.09.2012

Finally Looking at January

Sometimes to look ahead in your training, you need to look behind. And sometimes you just need to remind yourself how far you have come.

Check out my running in January 2011.

Now take a look at my running in January 2012.

Of course, I see areas where I can improve as I would like less 1 mile days and more longer run days. But if I focused just on that, and if any of us focus too much on negating our efforts, I would overlook the fact that I ran everyday in 2012. My longest run in January 2012 was a half marathon, longer than my longest run in January 2011. Both years I was in training mode for the Run for the Whales half marathon in February. In 2012 my training was indeed better but I can't be too hard on myself. In December 2010 my left piriformis was torn somehow and I couldn't even walk for a few days. I even took a sick day and missed work to stay laying flat on the couch bed.

In case you are wondering, I logged 98 miles in January 2012. I am happy with that but must confess, I found out on the 31st that I only needed 2 more to get to 100. I wanted to do it....go back for more....but family life took over in terms of priorities and sometimes, that is just the case. And I won't complain.

I didn't have any formal races in January but I did join in on some virtual fun with the HBBC Resolution Run, Running Loving Living Run, and the Freeze Your Thorns Off 5K. They helped keep me motivated and made running a bit more fun. On that note, I also started organizing the Leap Year Virtual Run - 2.9 miles anywhere, anytime on 2/29/12. Are you running? And I launched the Pampered Runner giveaway with the first lucky winner to be drawn this Friday.

My current training goals are:
  • Preparing for a half marathon on April 1st. I am using the Smart Coach app on my phone for general guidance and am basing the paces off of my recent race time. However, to be honest, I haven't set a time goal yet. This was my worst half marathon race in 2011 so I need to focus on what really matters. Being the best me I can be. My training plan is ambitious and formally started right after the Run for the Whales on 2/5/12. However, due to a nagging quad from that race, I haven't gone in all out yet. But I will.
  • I am working on speed right now. I want to try to get faster. I want to incorporate weekly hill work with dear hubby and darling daughter's support. 
  • Flexibility. This is another top priority. I need to remember to stretch daily to keep the cranky piriformis at bay.
  • Strength training. I need to find a way to get it in. I was doing great when I wasn't running but am now having problems finding the time for that, the time to run, and the time to be a mom, wife, employee. Sound familiar? One would think I could do a little of something each day at the end of the day. And I recently heard that perhaps strengthening my lower abs would help some of the running nagging aches. Hmmm.....a few leg lifts each night?

Today I am grateful for:
  • Having the drive to get out of bed
  • Appreciation
  • Reminders to take care of myself
  • Having the ability to ask for help when I need it
  • Rain storms

2 comments:

  1. You had an awesome month!!! I agree that it is beneficial to look back...I always forget! I was just thinking today that these chicken wings aren't going to go away wishing on falling stars!! I need to fit it in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great month!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for your comments!