1.22.2012

Maui Oceanfront Marathon - as a spectator

When I do things I tend to do them full heartedly. My darling daughter and I were the cheerleaders today while dear hubby tackled his first marathon. But before heading out to go to the finish line, I had to run a mile. I had to get my run in today, even if it was small, before the race to ensure I did it. I ran the fastest mile to date on my 10% incline treadmill at home!

I then got our stuff together and got darling daughter into the car. It was pretty easy since she was up and super-charged since 4:00 am....and I thought I was going to sleep in a bit. We drove in the dark most of the way but enjoyed watching the sun come up. We also enjoyed watching some of the runners along the way and honked for them. I must confess....I got all choked up and teary eyed. What can I say? I feel for all runners.

We made it to the finish line just in time to see the first 10K runner come in. Way cool! We stayed put for the duration and saw the first 1/2 marathoner, 1st 15K runner, and 1st 5K runner come in. Needless to say, we saw the first marathoner come in too. We cheered for each runner and clapped pretty much non-stop. Okay, I did. Darling daughter was distracted and entertained with her toys for the duration until she announced she needed a potty break. Not to sound mean but my first response was "not now, Daddy will be running by soon. You gotta wait." She wasn't too happy with me, whined a bit, but waited until she announced, "Mommy, I really need the potty now." Oh my! We ran over to the stinky bathrooms at the finish that had no toilet paper and I am sure the other woman in there felt I was the worst mom alive as I told my daughter, "you need to go right now and if you can't, we need to leave." She couldn't. I made her leave and ran out of the bathroom trailing her behind me and we made it back to the finish just in time to see dear hubby running up. Woah! Talk about luck! We ran with him a bit but left him to cross the finish line solo.

He succeeded in running his first marathon and said it was a humbling experience and now he understands. But I had to be the mean mommy again and not let him sit forever under the tree. Really, it would only get worse if he didn't get up and move. He wasn't happy, I was persistant, and he finally got up and started moving a bit.

I made him an Epson salt soak for tonight but he is going to be hurting tomorrow. Good thing I will be at the gym running when he wakes up!

P.S. Later I apologized to darling daughter for being mean at the potty time but said I was glad I made us leave. She said she understood and she was able to convince me to let her have an ice cream cone.

Today I am grateful for:
  • My darling daughter
  • Super Why!
  • Turkey burgers
  • Ladybug kites
  • Warm robes

6 comments:

  1. Awesome job Hubby!! And way to go with the bathroom behavior. I have been there many times myself with my boys! One request..Maui Oceanfront Marathon??? This Michigan girl was hoping for a beautiful Ocean picture! It's snowy and 32 degrees here.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aloha Karen, I will try to get an ocean picture up here soon!

      Delete
  2. Impressive mile pace at a 10% incline!! Congratulations to your hubby for completing his first marathon. Glad you and your daughter made it in the knick of time to see him finish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to you hubby. I was thinking you were running it. I would love to voluteer for a big race or go and support some one else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to the hubs! Aww..it's ok...always tricky when kids need to go potty in those nasty portopotties and they pick the worst times! Glad you made it back in time to join the hubs a bit! Bet he loved that support!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to your husband! Hope he isn't hurting too bad!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat!