1.28.2012

Freeze Your Thorns Off Race Recap

Yesterday my left piriformis was hurting me....big time. I ended up doing an Epsom salt soak and grabbing some Icy Hot. I haven't done that in a long time and of course, it bugged me since my next road race is just a week away. I wanted to do my long run today since I knew I had childcare at the gym but opted to take it easy. Why risk aggravating the muscle more and not being able to race my half next Saturday, right?

So instead of tucking my Virtual Run into a longer run, I ran my Freeze Your Thorns Off Virtual 5K solo. I ended up doing it in 24:46 so I am very happy! My piriformis held up well and didn't even complain. But I stuck to my plan. Run 3.1 miles, stretch, and do something else. I chose cycling for 20 minutes after my run. It wasn't overly hard but I felt it was a good choice to keep the blood going and perhaps help that muscle feel even happier. Afterwards, I put on my 110% Play Harder Compression shorts and headed out for the rest of my day.

That started with a play date for darling daughter with two dear friends and she coaxed me into lunch with them. However, no Happy Meal. She was pissed but I just couldn't justify it today. Instead, a nice taco salad. Nothing fried and greasy. Full of vegetables and nice beans. And yes, she was able to add grilled chicken - my replacement to chicken nuggets. She ended up happy after all.

Next stop, put darn money into bank. Usually I hate going out of my way to do this but today we stumbled upon The Dragon and some awesome line dancing. Darling daughter did not want to feed the dragon and was really scared of the big dragon. So we ended up leaving before they completed the whole performance.

Today I am grateful for:
  • The Year of the Dragon
  • Percussion - love it!
  • Getting a run in, pain free
  • Day 30 of my streak....yes, it is a small number in comparison to others but it is a pretty number so I had to brag
  • Super Why!

12 comments:

  1. The virtual run is a good idea and I look forward to doing it again in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on your 5k! I guess you didn't take a picture of frozen snot... per Adam's request! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could I would....just wasn't too freezing here so I felt a bit silly thinking I was Freezing My Thorns off....

      Delete
  3. Nice job! Glad the PF wasn't hurting too much during the run. It wasn't too cold for me, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job on the speedy 5K - yay!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice job, that's a great time! hope you're having a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for no pain! Awesome job on the virtual 5k!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job on your run. Way to stick to your plan too. It's so easy to push to hard and then end up turning a little niggling pain into an actual injury.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did this virtual race, too. But inside. On the treadmill. Awesome job on your time (at least it would be for me).

    Good luck on your half next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job and great time! A taco salad sounds really good :)

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat!