12.27.2011

Tuesday Tunes and Resolution Run!

I have been told many times that I am a very positive person. Thanks so much but honestly, I am not always positive. I have been diagnosed as clinically depressed in the past and was prescribed antidepressants. I quickly quit taking them and knew there had to be a better way. Fortunately, my issue at the time was probably centered on a whole lot of stuff I was dealing with at that point in my life and I hit the overload point. Since then, I have been very good at knowing what I need to do to get myself to seeing the cup as half full, to realizing that things could be worse, to believing I just need to have faith, and to trusting things will work out how they are meant to.

With that said, I got some news yesterday that broke my heart. The deal isn't over but it made me break down and cry at my desk for a few moments. It also made me sick to my stomach with worry. This was not a happy place so eventually I took action. I grabbed my running gear and headed to the gym. So many times on the drive there I just wanted to switch lanes and go home. But no, I knew I needed to run. I was sad and grouchy and going home would only lead to unhappiness and potentially a fight with dear hubby. For my sanity and for my family's peace of mind, I had to go to that gym. I had a dream of just going ahead and running that HBBC Resolution Half today. Why wait a week?

I was honestly surprised that my spontaneous half turned out so well. This was the longest I ran since the broken toe and I had doubts. I ran negative splits and really picked up the pace at the end. I felt great! I could have run a longer distance too but wouldn't have picked up the pace so much so early. I ended up logging 13.23 miles with my little cool down with an overall pace of 8'16". And once again, I reflected on how that broken toe was a blessing in disguise due to the positive training impact of all the other things I have incorporated into my workout when running wasn't an option.

Post run fuel!
The run really cleared my head and got me to the point I needed to be. Some could say I was running away from stress. Others could say I was running towards my spirituality. I say a little of both. But I always end up with more than I imagined. I was running with angels --- others at the gym who were helping newbies learn the machines, guardian angels who didn't let the guy who fell off the treadmill OR the lady who fell off the Stairmaster get hurt, or the sweet lady who moved to another treadmill so a hubby and wife could walk side by side. And they were a darling old couple! I also ran into my inspiration and have lots of ideas for 2012. Hold on.....I will get to them soon....but not today!

When I got home dear hubby wanted to go on a walk so I coaxed darling daughter to go by telling her she could mark our way with chalk ---- a Hansel and Gretel walk. She eagerly agreed and we ended up walking 1.06 miles with one very intense uphill climb. Now I know where to go for even more hill work!

And welcome to today's Tuesday Tune --- You Are My Sunshine by Anne Murray --- in honor of my darling daughter. She loves stories from when she was a baby and last night I told her the story of one of our first doctor visits where she cried and cried in the car. I sang You are My Sunshine over and over and over and over. She stopped crying once I got her out of the car but I sang the song a little more on the walk to the doctors. This wasn't the only time I sang her this but it is the time I remember the most. She was just 6 weeks and it was my doctor visit for post-Cesarean check-up. I am not sure if this is a good running song but I did start smiling when I listened! And by the way, there is so much more to this song than I knew!



Today I am grateful for:
  • YouTube
  • HBBC Resolution Run...and I may need to do another next week too!
  • Being able to run a half marathon on a whim
  • My Dad
  • Flexible work hours

9 comments:

  1. Hoping things get better soon. Congrats on an amazing run though. So crazy how one run can change your mindset. Sending you hugs and happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great run and stress releiver. Running just give you some extra time to talk to god and figure things out. Hoping all is better soon. Keeping you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erica, so happy for your wonderful run and that it made you feel better and cleared your head. I think that our brains don't work well when our emotions are so engaged!

    That song is one my darling Father used to sing very often. Love that song. Thanks for the memories, today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to hear that you got bad news :( I've also had my battles with depression and know that running does really help. You summed it up beautifully when you said:

    "Some could say I was running away from stress. Others could say I was running towards my spirituality. I say a little of both."

    Thank you for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Running is often the best therapy! I hope the work news improves!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry that you got some bad news! What a great run though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that running has the power to clear my mind and help me overcome the pull toward depression or negativity... definitely helped keep me sane when I was first adjusting to an infant in the house! Glad you could use it in that way, and what an awesome run!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the love ladies! And even bad news can be healing if it opens your eyes to issues to be resolved!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there, just felt like I wanted to pop in and give a big thumbs up to your "Tuesday's tunes". I love the song and sang it to my kids over and over and over as I rocked them. But it really made me smile because my name is Tuesday...and I love music...and it felt like I should stop lurking and say hello.

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat!