12.30.2011

New Year's Resolutions

I have never really set any resolutions before in the past. I always saw them as meaningless and a waste of time. But now that I am more committed to my running, I feel resolutions are a great way to focus on what my goals are for the coming year.

It is great to set goals. They can be motivating and let you track your progress. Thing is....goals need to be SMART. They need to be specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and timely. So a goal to be more healthy really doesn't rock it. How on Earth are you going to measure your success? What are the criteria? A goal to drink more water. Awesome! You can keep track on how many cups you drink, monitor your progress, and reward yourself for a job well done.

With that said, here are my New Year's Resolutions/Goals.....

To run 12 half marathons in 2012. I feel this is completely doable and I want to do it mainly because I feel it keeps my running base where I want it to be. I also want to run a half in each month so if I get crazy in February, I still want to do my March half. Any distance greater than 13.1 miles will count to this goal.

To run each day in 2012. This one scared me at first because I wasn't sure if I was biting off more than I could chew. So I had to consult with one of the best, Shelly, for her advice/input. I love how supportive she was and willing to quickly give me the inspiration and answers I needed. I now feel this goal is completely attainable! I just need to run at least one mile a day....all year. Why am I doing this? I feel it will help me avoid those slumps I get by knowing I just need to do one mile....and that won't kill me. And through running I become a more peaceful, better, stronger person and I want that for myself....and for my family. Plus, I feel it may change my perspective a bit on running by letting myself actually run a true easy run at times. I really suck at that. And no, my overall goal isn't only 7 miles a week. If you follow me, you know I want so much more!

To embrace challenges and participate in ones that align with my running goals. I loved participating in HBBC (and still do for the final days). It was a great motivator for me and it wasn't about winning but about earning as many points as I could....about pushing myself....about getting active and feeling good. Thankfully Amanda has already announced the first 30 day Food Journal challenge. I'll give it a try, see what I think, and perhaps identify some oddities in my diet. Essentially, this is a soul searching challenge for me.

On an unrelated note, I had to share this....


It was a notification from Nike+. Note, it isn't year to date or all the miles I have ever run. Only the miles I have run with Nike+ but I loved the message and it made me laugh. And yes, my work does know I am a running addict and that I will get my job done on time so I can run! And I even got a special assignment at the Run and Walk for the Whales so I can do my job and still run the half marathon! Aren't I spoiled?

Today I am grateful for:
  • You....thanks for stopping by today
  • Angels....I do believe they are around each day and they don't need to be celestial....think about the good someone did for you recently
  • Pears....a real fresh pear is truly delicious
  • Water....I do love a nice cold glass of water!
  • New Year's....even if I may not see fireworks this year

6 comments:

  1. LOVE your goals.. especially at least 1 mile a day!! You rock!! :) Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the goals. Stay strong in 2012. www.dashingdiva.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. great and very attainable goals! Love that note from nike+ too. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Goals!!! I didn't know about the 30 day food journal challenge. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wrote about my goals as well today at Joy comes In The Morning.

    Hope to meet you in March!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aloha Yolanda, I love your blog and your post was beautiful. I would love to meet you too in March! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat!