12.31.2011

Forgiveness Builds Strength

x
Source
What a better way to prepare for the new year than to post my final part to the 2012 Living Better Series? Instead of writing the standard New Year's Resolutions, I ended up reflecting on some key elements I face daily in my life. Unconditional Love, Dictatorship in the form of uncompromising behavior, and Forgiveness.....such a wonderful gift but so hard to give.

I question why it is human nature to remember the bad things so well but forget the good things so easily? I am not saying we forget all the good and I don't deny we can suppress negativity, but generally speaking, we do a really good job remembering the little oops in life. Why is this?

I am going to be completely blunt and honest with you. I am not perfect. I make mistakes. Sometimes I even make the same mistake twice. Good golly! But when I do mess up, I realize it and I am sorry....really sorry.....especially if it ended up causing someone hurt. I will go out of my way to make amends and am often the peace maker saying it is all my fault....even if it isn't. This is not necessarily healthy.

Source
Forgiveness can be healing to both the person who gives the forgiveness and for the person who receives it. The thing is, for it to really work you need to forget the wrong (as long as it isn't major like physical abuse) and move on. In addition, if you're the recipient of the apology, accept it and don't continue to tell the person apologizing what they did wrong. They just apologized....forget it and move on (again, unless it is something major).

It is crazy that still today I hear of mistakes I made as a child or other wrongs I did as a younger adult. It adds no value to current discussions and only opens old wounds. My goal for 2012 is to forgive and forget, to model this great gift. I hope others follow suit because forgiveness truly does make us all stronger.


2012 Living Better Series

2 comments:

  1. This post rings so close to my heart right now. My family is going through some things at this moment and pray that they can forgive each other for the things that have recently been said. Sometimes that's a tough pill to swallow, but I believe it is necessary in order to move forward. My goals and wishes for 2012 are in my post at www.dashingdiva.net. Have a Happy and Safe New Year's Eve. www.dashingdiva.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aloha Robin, thank you for your touching comment and I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat!