11.08.2011

Tuesday Tunes and More

What makes a runner a runner?

Everyone can answer this question a little bit differently depending on their own perspective. I definitely feel it has nothing to do about speed although I do have some speed classifications I apply to myself. Recently I have been walking as a form of exercise and to give the toe time to heal. I don't call that running due to the speed I was going and the speed I know I can go but I am still a runner.

Why?

Because it is who I am. It is a strong part of me and I have a deeply embedded passion to share my love of running with others. It is why I have been focused the past month on finding things I can do so when I return to my full-on running I am the best I can be at that moment. It is why I am excited to declare I did my first run with the broken toe yesterday, on my home treadmill barefoot. It is why I push myself to improve and let myself run anyhow I can. And it is why I won't let this speed bump knock me entirely off track with my training.

How was my run yesterday?

It was great because I did it! I only ran 1.5 miles for more than one reason --- running barefoot is new, my toe is still healing and perhaps I shouldn't overdo it, I wanted time with my darling daughter afterwards. I ran at a 10% incline with an overall pace of 14'37". Part of me didn't want to admit how slow I was but I felt I should because I wanted to announce that not all running has to be speedy. And honestly, I am just as proud of yesterday's slow run as my first marathon because they are both accomplishments, in different ways. And how can you truly inspire others to keep on going if you don't admit your own slow days?

My cool down after the run...I need a fan on that treadmill.

My barefoot running zone....with Dad watching every step.
Today's Tuesday Tune: Eye of the Tiger by Survivor --- a great song but honestly, I can't over listen to it or it becomes annoying. I try to keep it only on my long run play lists.




Today I am grateful for:
  • Barefoot running
  • PB&J
  • DVR
  • Family
  • The Still the One Challenge

1 comment:

  1. I love that song. Get's me pumped every time I hear it.

    Take it easy on that toe, Runner Girl! :)

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for your comments!