11.26.2011

7 Servings of Fruits and Veggies

Source
Participants in the HBBC are able to earn a point by getting in 7 servings of fruits and veggies. I love this element of the challenge not only for being able to earn a point when my exercise time is limited but for the overall benefits to my health. Who can argue any negative effects of eating more fruits and veggies?

But 7 servings is hard to do....even for a veggie-lover like me. But if I stay focused, and make them a priority, I have been succeeding on many days....even on Thanksgiving.

I have found that one secret is to start the day off right with my first meal ---- breakfast. Today was a weak day as I only had one serving of fruit with my toaster waffle. I love to toast the waffle, put on very little peanut butter, and top with banana. On other days I have added a serving of grapes or other berries on the side. Today my selection was low. Another good way to start the day....oatmeal (unsweetened for me) with two servings of fruits. I opted for banana and apple yesterday. I also added in about a teaspoon of peanut butter for added flavor.

Source
Another secret ---- snack right. With people around you snacking on treats it is tempting to snack too. First ask, am I really hungry? If you are, go for it and have a healthy snack. So when others were snacking on cookies or bread I opted for a banana. Can you tell they are my fruit of choice? I have eaten up to 3 bananas on one day.

Lunch secret ---- start getting those veggies in there. When others were having PB&J or turkey sandwiches, I opted for lettuce rolls. I grabbed my lettuce, turkey, little cheese and wrapped it up. On the side, a nice pile of cherry tomatoes and perhaps grapes too.

Dinner secret ---- I have been skipping the extra servings of bread and opting for what vegetables were available. And why not end the day right with fruits for dessert....and yes, that apple pie does contain fruit but keep it in moderation.

Today I am grateful for:
  • Rain....even though it hinders my running routine here
  • Scented candles
  • Fuzzy slippers
  • Butterflies
  • Fallen leaves

7 comments:

  1. Stoked you posted this because honestly, the 7-servings of veggies is the main reason I decided to jump in on the contest. I have so much going on in my life now, working out sadly does not fit it at the moment--however, I am now 100% herbivore, so getting the 7+ servings everyday is not a challenge for me!! I know now everyone has a VitaMix or solid blender/juicer, but making a green drink in the morning for breakfast or something is a great way to kick off your day. I'll post my recipe one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. correction: "...I know *not" (not now) -- sorry:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I don't have any trouble with getting in 7 or more servings of freggies either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not so good at getting this one in each day - I often get up to 5 servings, but those last two elude me. I like your tips though - I must get myself more of those veggie points!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this part of HBBC too. I sneak veggies in by adding them to my eggs in the morning. I always make extra from the night before and then add some warm veggies to my lunch salad too. I usually add in some fruit with breakfast and lunch but skip it at dinner because the sweetness makes me wanna eat more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great part of HBBC that I need to do much better with!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the comments and Jen, I would love to see the green recipe one day!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat!