10.04.2011

Why quitting can be succeeding

I am the type of person that once I say I am going to do something, I do it. At times I end up doing it and not wanting to do it, but I do it. I feel it is important to stick to your words. However, I quit something I said I was going to do and I really think that was the best decision of my life (okay, I may be exaggerating but you get the point).

Why am I telling you? Because I told you I was going to embark on a 24-day challenge and I opted against it before starting it. Something inside of me wasn't at peace and life was throwing hints at me to back away. I am not saying the challenge is bad and it may be good for me later, but it wasn't good for me now. The only sad point is that by backing down it seems I may have lost a friend. However, I cannot dwell on that because like I said, I wasn't at peace and now I am. So if you have been waiting to hear more about that challenge, it isn't coming. I am sorry.

I love cumulus clouds!
On a positive note. My run today was AWESOME! I AM BACK! I have been doing some runs here and there since the marathon and I can't say any were amazing or that I felt wonderful in any. But today, I felt like a happy running mom and pushed myself to run a progressive run. Perhaps it was just in the cards today, perhaps it was that coffee that started brewing as I pulled myself out of bed....

I really don't know what made today so fun and good but I loved each step of my run. I ran a progressive 3.38 miles at an overall pace of 8'52". I chose to not run more but to go dedicate the extra time I had to foam rolling with a focus on my glutes. Yep, that darn piriformis is a whiny one. It was the perfect start to the day!

And yes, I jammed to my music and really enjoyed Lose Yourself by Eminem today. If you really listen to the lyrics they can be applied to running in general or to the particular run you are doing at the moment. I opt for the clean versions of his songs but still do not listen to them with my darling daughter.


Today I am grateful for:
  • Icy Hot patches
  • My "baby" sister
  • Magnesium
  • Bagels with jalapenos
  • Birthday money from my Aunt that allows me to buy a bagel with jalapenos!
P.S. Check out this post with fall training ideas from Maui Runner! I like the idea of the long, fast runs.

3 comments:

  1. I also have a periformis that will not stop and I 100% love Lose Yourself. And I too would back away from a challenge if my inner voice was saying NO. I'm glad you're at peace a bit more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome run!! You are very wise to back out of something if you loose your peace about it, I would do the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mahalo ladies for the support! I am glad I am not alone in that decision. :)

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for your comments!