10.22.2011

Pumpkin Delight - Recipes

I'm 39 and just learned there is so much more to a pumpkin than jack-o-lanterns. Yes, I have eaten pumpkin seeds from packages in a store. Yes, I have heard of pumpkin pie. You make those from that canned pumpkin you get from the store. And yes, I have added canned pumpkin puree into a few of my meals here and there.

But just recently I became inspired to take a pumpkin from a pumpkin patch (okay, I did pay for it) and transform it into something wonderful --- a few things wonderful actually!

Preparing the pumpkin - I grabbed a serrated knife to begin with since I had read this makes the process safer. I ended up switching to a large chef knife. I cut the pumpkin open, removed the seeds, skinned it, and cut it into large chunks. I put it all into my stove top steamer and steamed about 30 minutes, or until tender. I then pureed it all in my food processor.

Pumpkin Pie - got great reviews from the fam but I'm not really a pie lover of any sort.
Ingredients:
1 pie crust - I used a graham cracker crust I had in the cupboard but can see that a flaky crust may be preferred
3/4 cup Splenda
1 tsp ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground Ginger
1/4 tsp ground Cloves
2 eggs
2 cups Pumpkin puree
12 oz Evaporated milk

Process:
Preheat oven to 425 F
Combine sugar, cinnamon, ginger and cloves. Add beaten eggs. Stir in pumpkin and slowly add evaporated milk.
Pour into pie shell --- it is very liquid!
Bake for 15 minutes.
Reduce oven temperature to 350 F and bake another 40-50 minutes. Knife inserted in center should come out clean.
Cool for 2 hours on wire rack and then store in fridge.

Pumpkin Soup - a new family favorite!
Recipe (serves 4 but I will be doubling next time!):
2 2/3 cup chicken or veggie stock
1 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 tsp Parsley
1 tsp dried onion or add fresh chopped onion
Garlic to taste
Black pepper to taste
2 Tbl sour cream

Process:
Put all in slow cooker and enjoy your day!!!
Serve with another dollap of sour cream if desired


Roasted Pumpkin Seeds - so much better than store-bought!
Process:
Rinse pumpkin seeds and remove any pulp and strings
Place on baking sheet
Drizzle with olive oil, stir, and spread out in a single layer
Sprinkle with sea salt
Bake about 25 minutes at 325 F
Cool and store in air-tight container

2 comments:

  1. Yum. I have always loved pumpkin pie, but in the past few years have started making other pumpkin-y good things too. If you're into splenda, there are some great, relatively healhty pumpkin cheesecake recipes out there too! Everything you made looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Nikki --- pumpkin cheesecake! I going to go check that out now!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for your comments!