10.27.2011

Love's Sweet Hurdles

I have been debating for hours on what I really wanted to talk about today - love or races. I could post on the love of races but today, it is all about love. The romantic personal love and that post I want to finalize on races, coming up soon!

Love is a powerful emotion and a splendid thing! And relationships are hard. Sorry, I'm not going to lie and say it is all peaches and cream but if you truly love someone, it is worth it.

Think about the love a mom has for her child. It is a strong emotional bond and any mom knows, it has its up's and down's and I wouldn't trade one moment of it for anything. Yep, I even hold onto those down's because it is part of life and makes the up's more pleasant. 

And this brings me to my dear hubby. I truly love this amazing man and even though we have our down's and sometimes the up's may be hard to see in our hectic lives, I choose to see and focus on the up's. Our relationship has endured some sweet hurdles and to me, that is testimony that we can endure any hurdle life tosses our way.

Hurdle 1: We lived on separate islands for almost two years. Okay, this was prior to marriage and a hard choice to make. I opted to move to a neighboring island for various reasons that I am not going to get into today but it was worth it. It proved that our feelings for each other were based on a solid foundation. We made things work and hey, the every other weekend or so we got together seemed like a vacation. Who wouldn't like two vacations a month? 

Now for the reality, it wasn't easy. It had its hard moments and saying goodbye sucked. And there were moments I questioned if we would survive this and we did. And eventually, life placed us back onto one island again. yeah!

Hurdle 2: We were in different countries! Yep, we maintained our lives in different countries for what seemed like an eternity. Work brought my dear hubby to Spain and we found a way to make it work. We saw each other less, communication was hard with the time zone differences, but we plugged ahead. And remember that move to the same island? It happened when we thought Spain was a distant memory.

Hurdle 3: I moved back to Maui to be with my loved one and he flew to Spain. It wasn't as drastic as I flew in and he flew out but it seemed like that. And he stayed, and he stayed, and he stayed, and he stayed....and goodness gracious, are we ever going to be on the same island for real? Okay, we have the same mailing address now but hey, my love is in another country! The good, I got to go visit him and be out of the country for the first time in my life! Now that is splendid for so many reasons!

Hurdle 4: Parenthood. We can't plan for or schedule the gifts we are given in our lives. We were finally living under one roof but things were not easy breezy. I was an emotional pregnant woman and bang, we became parents, and woah! We now have a preschooler! To ease daycare expenses and to increase parent-child time, we opted to not have a day off together for years. We just recently started having one day a week where dear hubby and I are both off of work with our darling daughter.

The reality: It is hard. It is hard to be us when we both love and care so much about being great parents. We get tired and it impacts our relationship. There is no right way. There is no one to blame. It is life and I believe we have the strength and love to overcome this hurdle too. I believe we can rediscover more of our initial passion and carefree attitude and bring that back into our relationship.

And it is with that belief, and the fact that the Marriage Encounter weekend I planned for the two of us was cancelled, that I opted to leap into the Still the One challenge hosted by Skinned Knees. I believe in the power of love and I believe good things come to those that share good things. I can't wait to hear about the weekly challenges and to my experiences with you. And ladies, if you want to show your man a bit more love, why not check it out?!

Today I am grateful for:
  • Life's unexpected gifts
  • The power to overcome hurdles
  • Persistence in a loving way
  • Generosity
  • Knowledgeable people who share their knowledge

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful post!! Thank you so much for sharing!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! What part of Spain? My husband lived there for two years.

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat!