9.26.2011

Monday Madness!

How about some random thoughts to start our weeks off right?

If you asked me five years ago what my life would be like today I wouldn't have given you the correct answer. I wouldn't have been able to say I ran a marathon and want to run more! I definitely wouldn't have said I live in the cutest blue one bedroom house with my dear hubby and darling daughter. And I wouldn't have said I was a family that co-sleeps. Trust me, I was always envisioning children in their rooms. But hey, life happens and we all share one room which has made me really read more about co-sleeping (and by the way, this is the norm in some cultures). There are many benefits to cosleeping and the Natural Parents Network lists five: it furthers trust and independence, children are more secure, positively influences the child's self-esteem and family closeness, children may be better adjusted and better to get along with, and everyone sleeps better. Okay, I can't say cosleeping is the best for all and it is a decision each family needs to make (and sometimes economics forces the hand) but I must say, it is nice to wake up to the cuddles of my darling daughter while I can!

The meatloaf recipe that will convert a "meatloaf hater" to a "meatloaf lover". I grew up really hating meatloaf (sorry mom) and don't believe I am now a mom making meatloaf. But for this recipe, the troops will ask for more! 

Ingredients:
2 lb lean turkey meat
1/2 tray of mushrooms (minced)
1 package onion soup mix
1/2 Italian bread crumbs
1 egg
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 can cream of mushroom soup

Steps: Mix all ingredients (except the mushroom soup) together and press into a loaf pan. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350F for about 60-90 minutes (or until almost done). Uncover and slice down the center lengthwise. I do this because I am paranoid about not cooking the meatloaf completely and it gives the loaf a nice groove for the next step. Bake another 15 minutes or so until the top begins to brown and you are happy about how well it is cooked. Happiness is important, right? Spoon the cream of mushroom soup on top and let some get into that nice groove. Bake another 5-15 minutes until the soup is warm and bubbly how you like it. Serve with yummy vegetables - last week I steamed locally grown broccoli and green beans!

Serves: My last batch fed 6 people (including a hungry teenage boy) and we had leftovers, which I converted into Meatloaf Stew.

Today I am grateful for silly pictures, good friends who understand sometimes a girl just needs to vent, chai tea lattes, Bondi Bands, and good fortune!

2 comments:

  1. I'm in the same boat as you!! My pregnancy was not planned and I was a couple weeks prego when I completed my first half marathon and I didn't find out till a month later. I would of never thought I would be a mom right now but I am and I love it. We also cosleep too, never thought I would but we all get the best sleep that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pregnancies are such blessings and often so unexpected! My darling daughter is truly a gift and I am happy to hear others cosleep. I am a huge fan of it now!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat!