8.16.2011

Recovery Run - Check!

As much as I try to get 8 hours of sleep each night, it is so hard to accomplish. I got just under 7 hours last night before heading to the gym for my pre-work run.

My pesky muscle via Google images
My goal today was to take it easy and do a nice recovery run. My left piriformis is a bit achy and perhaps I should just put that icy hot patch on; however, those things really stick and hurt to pull off. The cheaper brand is so much better but I am stuck with a large package from Costco. Who would have thought that the "good" brand would hurt so much. Thing is, the patch usually wipes the whines out in one day so I think I am just being a wimp.

I ran 3.29 miles today at a pace of 9'52" (nice easy pace). I opted to cut the extra 15 minutes of time I had from running and focus on stretching and foam rolling. It was a great idea and quite meditative as well. I moved into the dark classroom that wasn't being used yet and did my stretching and rolling in low light. I could feel the stresses of life roll away and yes, that pesky muscle did release some but there still is that underlying achiness. This isn't new to me and I know I will be fine. It is just an annoyance but I guess it is part of the life of being a runner. It probably was unrealistic of me to want to run as much as I want to run and expect to never feel any aches.

What aches have you added into your life since you picked up running?

2 comments:

  1. So far, things are good except that a little bit of plantars kicks in. I am so invested in a foam roller. I hear the little roller makes such a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Carolina Girl, Yes, the foam roller is amazing and I am becoming more diligent using it after all runs....even those at the gym where a guy is doing crazy circuit training with chaotic breathing disrupting any meditative benefits! But good for him for getting it done!!!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat!