7.26.2011

Interview with Jennifer Mueller-Cummings, Not your ordinary woman

You never know where life will take you and I am so thankful for the times my life has crossed paths with strong and wonderful woman. Ironically, I have gotten back into touch with some wonderful friends of the path only to discover that our lives have been running on parallel courses to the same running goals.

There is one remarkable woman I want to introduce to you. She is the most amazing woman I ever met, in fact, her whole family is awesome! I fell in love with them instantly and know if there wasn't an ocean between us, they would be a larger part of my life. This April I got to see my dear friend again, in person, and she is as wonderful as always and is a great example of how you can indeed take charge of your life --- to make a wonderful life even better!

Without further adieu, please let me introduce you to my dear friend, Jennifer Mueller-Cummings, from Honolulu, HI.

{lifeasa}RunningMom asks: How old are you?
Jennifer Mueller-Cummings answers: 35 years old. My birthday is in June, 1976.

{lifeasa}RunningMom asks: Do you have any children?
Jennifer Mueller-Cummings answers: Two Daughters: Kennedy (11), Ashtyn (10)

{lifeasa}RunningMom asks: How long have you been running?
Jennifer Mueller-Cummings answers: My first race was in 2/2011 for The Great Aloha Run-Honolulu, HI. I had lost 90 lbs and wanted to challenge myself to see if I could START and FINISH the race. My intention was to walk the entire thing, but once the gun went off, I had this burst of energy and to my surprise was able to run the entire thing AND with a pretty good speed!! That was enough of a confidence builder that I registered for several other races!!

{lifeasa}RunningMom asks: Why do you run?
Jennifer Mueller-Cummings answers: The t-shirts and medals....yes....I am one of "those" people...I'm just being honest!! I am starting to be more passionate about it though and see training in my future!!

{lifeasa}RunningMom asks: What is your biggest hurdle in running?
Jennifer Mueller-Cummings answers: I don't mind running, but I have a difficult time following a training schedule because then I feel like I "have to" do it rather than "want to" do it. That is my biggest challenge that I need to overcome and is the reason why I don't train for races. I run occasionally just to switch up my routine!

{lifeasa}RunningMom asks: What are your race PR's?
Jennifer Mueller-Cummings answers:
Kaiser Permanente Great Aloha Run (8.15 Miles) 2/2011
Time (1:20:56), Pace (9:56)

Wahine Half Marathon (13.1 Miles) 4/2011
Time (2:22:00), Pace (10:51)

Hawaii Pacific Health 10k (6.2 Miles) 5/2011
Time (1:15:36), Pace (12:57)
(I got really sick during this race but finished...for the shirt!)

Coconut Chase 8k (5 Miles) 7/2011
Time (48:48), Pace (9:49)

{lifeasa}RunningMom asks: What is your favorite running distance and why?
Jennifer Mueller-Cummings answers: I enjoy the Half Marathon's because they are long enough that you can really get in the groove and really connect to your inner strength. It is so rewarding crossing that finish line knowing that you completed the distance. AND because you are greeted with that shiny medal that motivated me to finish!!

{lifeasa}RunningMom asks: Can you share one interesting thing about yourself?
Jennifer Mueller-Cummings answers: I was over 230 lbs a year and a half ago and could barely walk 1 mile. I have lost 90 lbs and have a new passion for a healthy and active lifestyle. I am doing things that I have always dreamed of doing but didn't think I would ever be capable of doing. LIFE IS GOOD!!!

{lifeasa}RunningMom asks: If you were to give a new runner one piece of advice, what would it be?
Jennifer Mueller-Cummings answers: Don't take it for granted that you are physically able to run!! Thank God for your health and the ability to be active. There are so many people who have physical limitations that prevent them from running. There are people who are watching you live out what they will only be able to dream about. I also urge you to encourage people to run and be active. You never know...you may be the person that makes a difference in their life!!

Many mahalos to Jennifer for taking the time to answer my questions and sharing her passion for life. I am sure you can now see what I wanted to highlight this remarkable woman, and yes, we should never take what we have been given for granted.


Jennifer, keep up the great work! You are a fantastic mother and a wonderful role model for all! I am so proud of you!

Jennifer can be found on facebook on her own personal page.

2 comments:

  1. Nice interview. Jennifer has an inspiring story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! Way to go Jennifer!!!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat!