7.30.2011

Getting back into the groove

I find it very ironic that I fell so ill after Jennifer Mueller-Cumming's interview since one of her final comments was to not take running for granted. We are all so lucky to be able to run and I know we all know the "pain" when we can't get out and do what we want to do. And to my astonishment, there was a time when I was sick when running was farthest from my mind...not vanished....just not a compelling desire.

On my road to recovery I found myself really appreciating some of the small things again. Such as making my daughter a sandwich for lunch Thursday afternoon. And then sitting at the table eating chicken noodle (mainly broth) and enjoying the companionship of my family. I really enjoyed sharing the meal with my daughter who seemed equally excited to be eating chicken noodle. And how can I ever forget the way she clung to me and cuddled close to me Thursday night as if she was as relieved as I was that I was on the road of recovery. Although she did later comment that she wanted me to still be sick but I know that is just because she didn't want me to go to work in the morning. Can you imagine a better symbol of unconditional love? My daughter would prefer to be with me sick and not myself than to not be with me. How sweet!

I returned to work yesterday and it was exhausting. The stairs were wiping me out but at the end of the day I was able to run from my co-worker's car to the gas station convenience store to grab a Gatorade. That was a huge improvement!

I haven't run all week and no, I am not down on myself. I am going to be fine. I did have 17 miles slated for my Sunday run but I think I am going to forego the road run and go to the gym in the morning and hit the treadmill. That way I can run for what I can do and get my body fully back into the groove. I look forward to eating more protein and other nourishing food today.

And most importantly, I am thankful for all the kind words of support and concern many provided. It is very much appreciated. And I can't wait to catch up on your posts to hear what has been going on in your training! I have a lot of reading to do!

Current giveaways:
fitbook - ends August 1st
$25 Sports Authority Gift Certificate - ends August 4th

2 comments:

  1. Your post hit home this morning. For the first time in weeks I'm not gathering up my gear and clothing to go for a run with my son in a few hours. Instead I'm sitting here with my morning tea mad that I can't run thanks to shin splints. This is my first round with them and we aren't getting along well. They don't seem to realize I have a deadline for training to meet,nor do they care. I spent all day in pain and my sweet son offered band-aids and cuddles to help my legs feel better..I love him and his 4 yr old thinking. I think today we'll play some new games instead of pouting that we can;t run.

    I'm glad you're feeling better. Good luck on your run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Countrymama, and your comment hit home. I did my run this morning and got all grouchy afterwards since I wasn't myself in performance (as to be expected). But I should be thankful I was able to get out there. You will be back in the groove soon!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat!