7.18.2011

Foam Rolling Tips

My foam roller is my best friend.

Okay, perhaps not for communication but for injury prevention and my own personal rehap....it is the best.

I did look at the general instructions initially and through trial and error I have found my own trigger points and sometimes it hurts so good! This is when I know I need to keep foam rolling!

My problem child is my left piriformis muscle and although I seem to be doing okay with it and the foam roller, I always am looking for ways to be more effective. I have found a good video demonstrating good form for using the foam roller for your piriformis muscle. I tried his tips and it made a huge difference in a quicker release --- and isn't that what we are after?



Jai's advice was so helpful on my glutes I thought perhaps I would look and see what he suggested for my hamstrings to see if it was equally helpful. And yes, sweet success! The tips he provided were quite useful to how to better position myself for one leg, to straighten my back more, and how to alter the effect with toe placement.



Do you foam roll?
Where are your trigger points?
What are your secret tips for more effective foam rolling?

9 comments:

  1. I've been reading more and more about these. I have been thinking about trying it out. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Mommy Miles, I say give them a try. It is definitely worth it and I must confess, my foam rolling has done me more good than going to get a massage. Perhaps because I am more in control of where my need is. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love my foam roller, I deal with hamstring issues, I love to roll it morning and night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting this! I have issues with my right piriformis and the crossover thing helped! I found trigger points on the left side I didn't know I had - lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Molly, Thanks for your post and stopping by!

    @ Courtney, That crossover thing was magic wasn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like your post on the foam roller. I just my foam roller every day. Keeps my ITB in good running shape. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i swore that i just wouldn't use one forever, i mean that thing hurts. now i have this weird love for the pain and it truly does help with ITB!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Cool Down Runner, thanks and I am happy to hear it is working wonders for so many people!

    @ Amanda, I know! That thing really hurts but I am so glad Kendrick at Kendrick Fitness advised my to use one. It has made a huge difference!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw your foam roller review and wanted to share my product information with you maybe you can do another review when my product is available to you. My name is Gary Miller and my company is launching its first 5 in 1 home and travel fitness product next month called the ProUnit Performance Trainer. Once the site is up you can find us at www.TheProUnit.com until then find us on Facebook at the ProUnit Performance Trainer.

    The ProUnit is a 5 in 1 product...
    1) Foam Roller
    2) Ab Roller
    3) Rotating Push-up handles
    4) Ab Wheel
    5) Stretch Strap
    The other great advantage of the ProUnit is that since the tube is hollow you can put extra fitness products in the tube like fitness bands, jump rope, agility ladder, suspension straps...pretty much you can be creative even a mat wraps around outside for a place to work out on. The ProUnit Performance Trainer is the fitness tool of 2013.
    We are planning to launch Feb 1st so hopefully we can share the ProUnit with you then. Until that time please like our ProUnit Performance Trainer Page here on Facebook. We would love to share content as we grow.

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat!