7.01.2011

9 Miles - A Beautiful Way to Start the Day

My plan today was to blog about June's successes/hurdles and my goals for July; however, I just can't get over the wonderful buzz of my run this morning and have to share.

As is the usual case, I rolled out of bed at 4:00 am and didn't even hesitate as my dear hubby went to get to the alarm clock before me. Oh yeah, I beat him to it because I was afraid he would silence it, I would fall back asleep, and then no run for mommy. And we have dinner plans tonight - family night at a restaurant - so I had to run!

I did a little breakfast on the run today starting with a mix1 Blueberry Vanilla smoothie. Have I told you how much I love these? I get to the bottom way too quickly. Then while running I ate a few PowerBar Energy Blasts and sipped a little diluted Gatorade. The end result - 9.01 miles and breakfast accomplished while some people are snoozing in bed.

My overall pace was 8'40" but I had one stretch where I actually ran a sub 7 minute pace. Really? Me? 

My run was structured around speed and incline intervals and I even did some "downhill" running at a -2% incline (or should I say 2% decline?) on the treadmill. I don't often go to the negatives on a treadmill but thought I would give it a try since I read a brief article on the benefits of some downhill running. It was fun but probably not something I would do too often. After all, I could just go out and hit the inclines and declines in the natural environment during any and all of my Sunday long runs. On that note, my dear hubby has asked to join me on my 15 mile run this coming Sunday. I told him he could but he would have to carry his own drink. He didn't look too happy about that and this would be his longest run yet. I'll let you know how it goes.

And about that monthly wrap up....I will get to it soon!

P.S. Did you see the interview with Kendrick Ribeiro?

2 comments:

  1. Great run! Sub-7??? Sweet!
    Mix1 is my favorite breakfast before a run too. I usually don't like having to eat, but drinking is ok :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Courtney@I CAN DO THIS --- Amazing about the sub-7, huh? It was just a little sprint and shocked me. No way I could maintain that!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat!