6.13.2011

How to combine a slumber party with inspiration and running

I truly believe the small things in life make the biggest difference so I try to make the most out of every opportunity. This weekend was a girls' weekend for my daughter and I so I jumped at the immediate chance to make it special. It was going to be slumber party weekend!

I pulled out the couch bed and we were treated to dinner and a movie, her choice. My darling daughter selected The Little Mermaid. I often strive for movies she sees to be educational - either a true documentary or an educational children's video. The Little Mermaid is her occasional just for fun movie but being who I am, I incorporated plenty of learning lessons into the movie.

You may be asking, where is the inspiration and running?

That came next because are you really supposed to sleep at a slumber party? I let my daughter watch a "mommy" movie for the first time. I put in Ultramarathon Man that arrived via Netflix and was ready to have a great time. I wasn't sure if the movie would intrigue my daughter for long but it was already past her bedtime and I could watch solo if she chose to sleep.

Well, she didn't sleep one wink! She was in to the movie as much as I was. We laughed together. We cried together. We discussed different elements. And she was compelled to reinforce if I couldn't open my gel during a run that I could ask someone in a car to do so for me.

If you haven't seen Ultramarathon Man, now is the time. I found it quite inspirational and loved hearing the stories from all the runners. My daughter's analysis: I may have liked The Little Mermaid more because with your movie I had to think more. But then she has already asked to see the running movie again.

All I can say is that now it would be a dream come true to run with Dean Karnazes one day.

1 comment:

  1. ooohhhh....looks like I'll be hitting up netflix.Thanks for the heads up

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat!