First, let me say I am so jealous that she has 20 miles of pathway just a mere mile from her house! It is stories like those that tempt me to move back to the mainland so I could live in runner's heaven. Although, I do realize running on Maui does have its own perks such as pretty consistent temperature and weather conditions year round.
Second, I tend to be a early morning runner with a vast majority of my runs starting around 4:30 am. It is quite dark at this time and that puts my run in one place....the gym. I could run on my treadmill at home but I try to remove myself and the noise out of the home so the rest of my dear family can sleep in bliss.
However, I am firm believer that all training should not occur on treadmills and come on, running outside is indeed so much better! For my long runs, I am definitely a road runner because I only know of one pathway (off to the side of a road by the way) and it is at maximum 7 miles long. Not really long enough for my running needs so yes, I run along highways and roads.
And finally, if I need to do a run in the afternoon or at other odd times, I run on my treadmill at home or around our neighborhood. Once again, this can become a boring since one loop around the block is only 1/2 mile and that is essentially the neighborhood. My darling daughter gets tired of the constant loops too.
But please note: I have a list of running rules that I adhere to like crazy.
- I never run roadside with my daughter in the jogging stroller! I may run on sidewalks, I may run in our neighborhood, and I may run up on Thompson Road, which is less traveled and more like a country road.
- Roadside running must occur on roadways with shoulders, although at times I may have very small stretches down neighborhood roads without a shoulder taking me from one major roadway to another.
- I run early when there is less traffic on the roadways.
- I always run against the traffic. I want to see what is coming.
- I keep my tunes down low so I can hear what is happening around me.
- I do not run in the dark. Yes, I know I can add reflective tape or lights so cars can see me but this rule is more because my field of view is decreased. I run solo and I want to be fully aware of my surroundings.
- I ask myself, is this a place another runners or cyclists would use? I tend to run in places where I may encounter other people out being active.
- I always wear my Runners ID.
And for a special treat I photodocumented my journey to work today so you can see some of the roadways in Maui. Why? Because roads are different everywhere and I really feel the roads on Maui are tame when compared to the mainland, although I am comparing them to roads around Texas. And please enjoy the sunrise with me!