6.03.2011

8 Miles of Sweat, Determination, and Joy

Some people rejoice as Aloha Friday hits because it marks the end of the work week. For me, I have my own rejoicing in that it is a day to cross another medium run off of my training calendar.

My goal today was to run 8 miles. I wasn't completely sure on how it would feel as I have a very small nagging cough. I know the "rules" are if you are sick below the neck, rest; however, I am not one to always follow the standard training rules. I feel we each know our bodies best. Ironically, over a year ago when I had an awful cough, so terrible I had to go to the doctor's and get serious medicine, the only way I found relief (prior to the medicine of course) was during my runs. Go figure!

With all that in mind, my plan was to run the 8 miles but to do a progressive run by miles. I would increase my pace with each subsequential mile with miles 4 and 5 being my top pace. But as any runner knows, sometimes plans change...for the better or for the worse....it is up to you to decide. But I honestly feel my plans changed for the better. As I started the 5th mile I was feeling wonderful. My body felt great, my legs felt strong, and my breathing was beautiful. So I said goodbye to the pyramid run and forged ahead into an awesome progressive run where I really pushed the last two miles.

I am so thankful I am a firm believer in listening to my body and headed out for my run today even with a little cough. And no, I didn't cough once during my run and haven't really coughed since I woke up.

What's next? A beautiful weekend with my darling daughter. We will be running a 5K race tomorrow morning (okay, I will be running and she will be riding). Afterwards, we will try our hardest to make it to two birthday parties!

1 comment:

  1. I saw your comment on my blog which raised my eyebrow. I am alway interested who is reading my blog.

    So what is it like living and training in the 50th state where the weather is nice year round?

    Cool Down Runner

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat!