5.02.2011

Lentil Soup

The crock pot is a running mom's best friend. I am a big fan of soups, as well as the rest of my family. One of our favorites is lentil soup and I never really make it exactly the same way twice.

Yesterday was a busy day and I was grateful to be able to start a batch of soup in the morning, go get haircuts for me and my darling daughter, run my 5 miles, spend quality time with my family, and still have leftovers for another day!


The recipe is simple and you can customize it how you please.

Lentil Soup Ingredients:
  • 1 bag of lentils - I have found that the inexpensive lentils are just as good as the more expensive lentils so choose whichever pleases you.
  • 1/4 pureed cauliflower - I have also used broccoli or spinach.
  • 1 1/2 cup broccoli florets - This was a new one for me to add larger broccoli but I had some fresh, frozen broccoli in the freezer and couldn't resist.
  • 6 small sweet peppers - chopped or diced
  • 8 cherry tomatoes - cut in half
  • water to cover the lentils - watch the soup throughout the day and add more if needed
  • black pepper to taste
  • garlic to taste
  • broth seasoning of your choice or replace water with liquid broth

Cook for 8-10 hours and stir on occassion. I believe I have made this recipe in as little as 4 hours. Just choose the appropriate setting on your crock pot. Mine has 4, 6, 8 and 10 hour settings. I had one in the past that had low, medium, or high settings and I would probably opt for medium for all day cooking.

Last night I had added a bit too much water and sometimes I add a little instant potatoes or cornstarch to thicken the soup; however, I had a craving for dumplings last night.

Dumpling recipe:
1 cup Bisquick mix
1/3 cup fat-free milk
1 Tbl fresh cilantro from our garden

Mix and drop into soup. Cook uncovered 10 minutes than cook covered 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's chat!