The recipe is simple and you can customize it how you please.
Lentil Soup Ingredients:
- 1 bag of lentils - I have found that the inexpensive lentils are just as good as the more expensive lentils so choose whichever pleases you.
- 1/4 pureed cauliflower - I have also used broccoli or spinach.
- 1 1/2 cup broccoli florets - This was a new one for me to add larger broccoli but I had some fresh, frozen broccoli in the freezer and couldn't resist.
- 6 small sweet peppers - chopped or diced
- 8 cherry tomatoes - cut in half
- water to cover the lentils - watch the soup throughout the day and add more if needed
- black pepper to taste
- garlic to taste
- broth seasoning of your choice or replace water with liquid broth
Cook for 8-10 hours and stir on occassion. I believe I have made this recipe in as little as 4 hours. Just choose the appropriate setting on your crock pot. Mine has 4, 6, 8 and 10 hour settings. I had one in the past that had low, medium, or high settings and I would probably opt for medium for all day cooking.
Last night I had added a bit too much water and sometimes I add a little instant potatoes or cornstarch to thicken the soup; however, I had a craving for dumplings last night.
1 cup Bisquick mix
1/3 cup fat-free milk
1 Tbl fresh cilantro from our garden
Mix and drop into soup. Cook uncovered 10 minutes than cook covered 10 minutes.