5.11.2011

14 Mile Long Run with Negative Splits

I am often amazed by how often I tell myself that on Tuesdays I am going to go to bed early. I always envision climbing into bed pretty close to my daughter's bedtime. And Tuesday comes and goes and I don't get to bed any earlier than my normal bedtime and fortunately, I don't stay up too much later.

However, it still took two rings of my alarm to get me out of bed, dressed, and ready to run. I tried to look for the four planets that were supposed to be visible in the wee hours of the morning but had no luck. Perhaps I didn't look hard enough. Perhaps I didn't look in the right direction. Perhaps I was looking too early. Who knows but I headed into the gym to run my 14 miles slated for today.

My pre-run treat was an orange Gatorade PRIME01, which was a great pick-me-up this morning. My running plan was to start out at a modest pace and maintain it for the first 7 miles. After that, I planned to pick up the pace and incorporate negative splits. At mile 3 I was feeling awesome and was tempted to start picking up the pace right then and there. However, I constrained myself and convinced myself to stick to my plan. About 45 minutes into my run, I took my GU mandarin orange gel. I wasn't feeling fatigued yet but opted to be proactive since I didn't eat a breakfast prior to my run. It is amazing how well the gel went down and how much I liked the flavor this go around. This just supports training with drinks and gels and not trying something new on race day.

Finally, mile 7 approached and I was able to start picking up the pace. I began an conservative approach and at approximately mile 10 (or 11), I systematically continued to pick up the pace. For the final 1.5 miles, I was running good and strong.

Overall pace: 8'41", a wee bit faster than my PR for a half marathon pace of 8'47"

My mental state: Very good. There were moments that I felt a little hurdle but quickly overcame this by focusing on elements such as the sound of my feet pounding or the beat of the music. In the final stretch, I visited my manta "run strong, run strong, run strong" and was awed by how it matched the next song on my play list.

On that note, I think it is time to add new songs to my play list. It is getting a bit old. I love songs with a good beat and need songs that are kid friendly and some that can be added to my "for mommy's ears only" list.

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's chat!